Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Crack!

I don't know who Kim is so cannot give credit where it is due, but I found this recipe on the General Daily Thread, commonly called the GDT, on the Canadian Weight Watchers site - everyone there was raving about it, so I thought I would give it a try.

The Captain truly loves molasses cookies and I knew he would be pleased with these, when I read the ingredient list.   But, OMG!  They were even better than expected and now I know the reason for the odd name...



Kim’s Ginger Crack Cookies
  • 3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 Tbs sugar for rolling

1. Mix oil, molasses, egg and sugar together until well blended. Add other
    ingredients and mix well.
2. Chill dough for at least one hour.
3. Roll into 1” balls and roll each ball in sugar.
4. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for ten minutes at 350F.

Yields 48 cookies.
Per cookie, Weight Watchers P+ = 2.  The Nutritional Information  includes the sugar for rolling.
Calories 73; Protein 1g; Carbohydrate 10g; Fat 4g; Fibre 0g

And I dare you to try eating only one!

Kim’s notes:
"Using olive oil will affect the flavour a little.
Substitute up to half of the sugar for Splenda. Any more than that and they won’t spread properly."

I could not believe how  much these cookies increased in volume as they baked.  I flattened them very slightly with a fork before I put them into the oven.

These  have become favorites and I have made them many times... the first time I used slightly less oil, and I think they were a bit better, if that is even possible!

4 comments:

  1. I have made those 2 years ago for Christmas and they were a huge success! It took me awhile to figure out that it wasn't because they are addictive but because of the way they crack! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I bet you are right. This last time I made them I used half whole wheat flour and they were just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my recipe. I was just directed here by the aforementioned GDT. Thanks for giving me credit, though I didn't create the recipe. It came with a birthday card that included paper dolls when I was a child.

    The original name was "Kim's Country Cookies". Since my name is Kim, I insisted that we try the recipe. After that, they because part of the traditional Christmas baking in my house.

    The GDT calls them "Crack Cookies" because nobody can ever seem to eat just one. :)

    I'm glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kim, how fun that you found my post and came to let me and my readers know the origin of this recipe! Thanks so much. And they have certainly become part of the traditional Christmas baking at our house too! So happy you contacted me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.