I don't know where the term 'scalloped' came from. And I don't remember having a recipe that didn't include gobs of butter, so I made up a dish I call Low Fat Cheezy Potatoes and it filled the bill quite nicely.
Low Fat Cheezy Potatoes
Makes 6 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds of pared, thinly sliced potatoes
- 1/2 cup of onion, thinly sliced vertically into rings
- 1 ounce lite cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbs lite parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the potato and onion slices in the casserole dish, alternating layers of each.
- Combine the milk, cornstarch, salt and pepper in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a gentle boil and whisk until it bubbles and thickens.
- Remove from heat and pour the contens over the potatoes and onions in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the cheeses over the top.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour. Remove the cover and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, until browned.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 138; Protein 6g; Carbohydrate 27g; Fat 1g; Fibre 2g
Ready to go into the oven