Monday, April 25, 2011

Aw Cheezy .... Potatoes

When I was preparing our Easter Dinner menu, I asked The Captain if he would like to have scalloped potatoes with the baked ham... of course he would!  I am not a big fan so I planned a small sweet potato for myself.

I don't know where the term 'scalloped' came from.  And I don't remember having a recipe that didn't include gobs of butter, so I made up a dish I call Low Fat Cheezy Potatoes and it filled the bill quite nicely.




Low Fat Cheezy Potatoes
Makes 6 servings

  • 1-1/2 pounds of pared, thinly sliced potatoes
  • 1/2 cup of onion, thinly sliced vertically into rings
  • 1 ounce lite cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 2 Tbs lite parmesan cheese, shredded
  • 1 cup fat free milk
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Spray a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
  3. Place the potato and onion slices in the casserole dish, alternating layers of each.
  4. Combine the milk, cornstarch, salt and pepper in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.  Bring to a gentle boil and whisk until it bubbles and thickens.
  5. Remove from heat and pour the contens over the potatoes and onions in the casserole dish.
  6. Sprinkle the cheeses over the top.
  7. Cover and bake for 1 hour.  Remove the cover and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, until browned.
  8. Let cool slightly before serving.

Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 138; Protein 6g; Carbohydrate 27g; Fat 1g; Fibre 2g

Ready to go into the oven

2 comments:

  1. This dish looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My DH doesn't like scalloped potato's. Never has, until today!!

    He loved these and said he'd eat them again as long as I made them the same way.

    Thanks for introducing another food option.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.