Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Prawn Curry on Avocado

I found this recipe in a local Thrifty Food supermarket flyer.  It appealed to me immediately because it calls for prawns and coconut milk.  I have made it several times, leaving out the avocados, and serving it with snow peas and linguini... it is very good, but today I had an avocado that was just ripe so I decided to make the recipe up as originally written, using just a bit less oil.

What a lovely surprise!  I served it with some leftover heated white/brown rice.  The sauce is just perfect with rice and it really does go nicely with the avocado!  It is a very mild curry sauce and tastes very rich because of the coconut milk.

This dish sort of goes hand in hand with the Butter Chicken recipe I posted several months ago.  That is because it uses up the other half of the can of light coconut milk I use in that recipe.... So, we usually have this for dinner within a night or two before, or after, we have the Butter Chicken.  And they are very different recipes so that is good.

It is much easier to pull everything together if you get all your ingredients prepared ahead of time, except for the avocado.  It will turn brown if you prepare it more than a couple of minutes ahead.  If you do choose to do that, sprinkle some lime juice over it.


Prawn Curry on Avocado
For 2 Servings
  • 1 tsp canola oil
  • 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced 
  • 1 or 2 tsp chopped, fresh ginger 
  • 1 tsp mild curry powder
  • 200 ml (1/2 can) light coconut milk mixed with 1 tsp cornstarch 
  • 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice 
  • 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar 
  •  approximately 200g total weight cooked prawns, tails removed (I use 32 of 71-90 count or 16  of 31-40 count)
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 2 servings cooked rice as desired
  1. Prepare 2 servings of rice and set aside to keep warm. 
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
  3. Add the shallot, garlic and ginger and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
  4. Mix in the curry powder and cook 1 minute more.
  5. Add the coconut milk/cornstarch mixture, lime juice and brown sugar.
  6. Bring to a simmer and cook until the coconut milk is thickened by the cornstarch.
  7. Add the prawns and simmer until just heated through, about 3 or 4 minutes.
  8. While the prawns are heating quickly peel the avocado, and remove the pit.
  9. Slice each half of the avocado into 4 and fan on the serving plate. 
  10. Divide and serve the prawns and sauce over the avocados and rice.
Per serving, not including rice.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6. 
Calories 230; Protein 14g; Carbohydrate 14g; Fat 14g; Fibre 1g.

Shallot slices and garlic in the pan along with heated canola oil.


Add curry powder to pan.


Coconut milk is mixed with cornstarch, lime juice, and brown sugar, then  added to pan.


Add cooked prawns to thickening sauce.


Cook till prawns are heated through and sauce is thick.


Serve prawns and sauce over avocado slices and rice.


Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. AWESOME! I want to make this for my husband. I would have to leave out the avocados though (or do them on the side) because he does not like them. Do you think that would be okay?

    Also, this is about to be a very dumb question. What exactly is a prawn? And can you use shrimp instead?

    Thanks - I love reading your recipes and now I need to buckle down and try one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOSH!!! Elle! I made this last night (minus the avocado because Michael doesn't like it) and I used hot red curry powder and IT. WAS. AMAZING. There were no leftovers for lunch today - Michael LOVED IT! It is going in my recipe book as a favorite of ours. Thank you! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa this looks good! I love anything with seafood or coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very similar to a dish I used to eat living in Malaysia, usually called "clay pot milky prawns." Basically, you leave out the cornstarch to allow a soupier texture and add some bok choy or other leafy green to the mix and serve with rice or your favorite mein noodle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.