Thursday, December 22, 2011

Succulent Chinese-Stye Barbecue Pork

This is a dish that is very easy to prepare but just begs to be given a place of honor at your next gathering of friends and family. It would be perfect for Christmas Eve or New Year’s Day.

If you are serving more than 4 people, then cook 2 tenderloins and double the marinade ingredients.

I don’t care for the barbecue pork that The Captain loves to order when we go out to eat Chinese food at a restaurant  I am not sure just what it is about it that puts me off, but I never even taste his anymore, even when we go somewhere new.

But he loves it so much, so when I saw a recipe in a local Thrifty Food advertisment,  I decided to try it. And I am so glad I did because it really is delicious. The original recipe called for 1/8 cup of either dry sherry or brandy. I had neither so I just left it out.

It can be sliced and served as is or used in other dishes, such as fried rice, noodle dishes, or soup.

Here it is, as I prepared it.


 

Chinese-Style Barbecue Pork
Makes 4 servings
  • 1 Tbs soy sauce
  • 1 Tbs honey
  • 1 Tbs ketchup
  • 1/2 Tbs finely chopped fresh ginger
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
  • 1 whole pork tenderloin, trimmed of any sinew or fat, about 1-pound
  1. Combine the first 7 ingredients together in a large bowl.
  2. Add the pork and turn to coat.
  3. Cover and marinate, refrigerated, for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
  4. When ready to cook, preheat the oven or barbecue to 375°F.
  5. Remove the pork from the marinade and place it on a lightly oiled rack set over a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil (for ease of cleanup).
  6. Brush the pork with a quarter of the leftover marinade and roast for 10 minutes.
  7. Brush with another quarter of the marinade and roast 10 minutes more.
  8. Brush with the remaining marinade and cook 20 minutes, or until the pork is cooked.
  9. Remove the pork from the oven and place it on a platter, tented with foil and let it rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 112; Protein 16g; Carbohydrate 5g; Fat 2g; Fibre 0g.

Place all marinade ingredents in a large bowl and mix well before coating tenderloin.


Place on hot barbecue, baste and roast as directed.


When cooked through, remove from heat.


 Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.


Slice very thinly and serve.


Plated and served with rice and stirfried veggies.


And the next night, I cut up the leftovers and used it in fried rice.  Just lovely!

 

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU for this recipe Elle! Barbecued pork was probably my husband's favorite meal from Hong Kong, but I never attempted it because I thought it would be too complicated. But I can do this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.