It is a pretty big batch so you may want to adjust the amounts... I like to have soup stored in individual servings in the freezer ready to pull out and reheat when I am in a hurry or need a quick snack.
This lovely soup works very nicely into my current Whole30 Paleo Challenge and it is also gluten-free.
I used coconut oil instead of olive oil to saute the veggies. I have come to really love the smell of coconut oil cocoking away in my kitchen and have started using it wherever I can! And you won't be surprised to learn that I used a can of Kirkland chunk chicken breasts. If you have chicken already cooked, great... or turkey would be very good, too.
I should tell you that I added a dash of ground coriander along with the cumin, but didn't include it on the ingredient list because I don't really think it is necessary. Use about 3/4 to 1 tsp of it if you like it.
Don't be put off by the color! The green comes from the kale. It truly is delicious. And I have to admit, that being a Weight Watcher, I appreciate that the butternut squash has a much lower calorie count than a sweet potato has, too.
Curried Butternut Squash and Chicken Soup
Makes 14 servings, 1 cup each.
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 3/4 cup chopped white onion
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed and minced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 30 ounces)
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 bunch kale, large stems removed, washed and torn into pieces
- 1-1/2 Tbs ground cumin
- 6 cups water
- 7.5 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Warm the coconut oil in a stock pot or very large saucepan over MEDIUM heat.
- Add the garlic and onions and saute about 5 minutes
- Add the squash and kale and saute till the kale starts to get shiny, about 5 more minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the cumin and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Cover the vegetables with the water.
- Cover the saucepan, bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer and let cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for about half an hour.
- Puree with immersion blender or food processor. (Leave a bit chunky.)
- Add chicken to mixture and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 2.
Calories 66; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 10g; Fat 1g; Fibre 2g.
Saute the veggies in the coconut oil.
Reheat on the stove to serve.