The great thing about that, aside from enjoying the sunshine and blue sky, it makes me want to eat a bit less, and a lot lighter.
This simple Summer Salad is an old favorite. I can remember my Mother making it for the family on hot Summer nights. I have been enjoying it ever since. It is simple and nutritious, and quite pretty, too. It can be made several hours ahead if you like, and kept cold. It is a great picnic take-along too. Make up a big batch; just keep it on ice till it’s time to eat.
I love the crunchiness of the veggies, and the small zing of the white vinegar is just the right touch for this light and cool side dish.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 medium tomato, core removed, sliced
- 4 or 5 very thin slices of white onion. separated into rings
- 1 small cucumber, sliced very thin
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 Tbs white vinegar
- Dashes of salt and pepper
- Layer the veggies in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the olive oil and white vinegar together in a small bowl and spoon over the veggies.
- Refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- Stir and refrigerate another 20 minutes.
- Divide into 2 small serving bowls and serve cold.
Weight Watchers P+ = 1.
Calories 63; Protein 1g; Carbohydrate 6g; Fat 5g; Fibre 1g.
Layer the prepared veggies in a wide bottomed bowl.
Sprinkle salt and pepper on them.
Spoon the marinade over the top.
Stir part way through the cooling process to make sure all veggies are being coated with marinade. If you are leaving refrigerated for a few hours, do this a couple more times.
Divide into serving bowls and enjoy!
What’s your favorite simple Summer salad?
If you like this recipe, won’t you please consider sharing this post on Twitter via @WeCanBegin2Feed and Pinning it, too?