Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Cranberry Pulled Pork in the Crockpot

When the outside temperatures get nippy, I love to get out my crockpot. I am not sure why I equate slow cooking with cooler weather, but I sure do.  I not only used it one day this last week to prepare this Cranberry Pulled Pork, but also the next… to cook up a turkey carcass that was in the freezer for Homemade Turkey Broth to make soups and sauces over the next few weeks.  I should actually have made that broth first, then I could have used it in this recipe!

I have always loved pork with fruit… apples, peaches, and yes, cranberries.  The flavors just go so well together.  This Pork Medallions with Apples and Cranberries is an old favorite. 

This time I decided to leave out the apples and just go with cranberries.  It is lovely and the balsamic vinegar gives just enough sweetness to the dish.  I was tempted to add garlic, but am glad I didn’t.

I used a lean pork loin roast that weighed just over 2 pounds. If you find a nice tenderloin, just reduce the amount of the other ingredients. It’s not rocket science, and you can’t really go wrong here.

I like to make a dish like this and then freeze it in individual or family-size portions so that I can put dinner together quickly on days I am working, or when I just don’t really feel like cooking much.  If you like, add some potatoes or rice, or just a vegetable or a salad, and you have a hearty and delicious meal.

Cranberry Pulled Pork in the Crockpot4

Cranberry Pulled Pork in the Crock Pot
Makes 14 four-ounce servings
  • 2-lb pork loin roast, trimmed of all fat
  • 1 cup onion slices
  • 1 cup chicken or turkey broth
  • 12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1/4 cup dark balsamic vinegar
  • 2 or 3 tsp dried oregano
  1. Lightly coat the inside of your crockpot with a non-stick spray or oil spray to make cleaning up easier.
  2. Brown all the outer edges of the pork roast in a saute pan over MEDIUM-HIGH heat for a few seconds. This is to seal in the juices so don’t skip doing this step.
  3. Spread the onion slices over the bottom of the crock pot, followed by the cranberries.
  4. Place the browned pork roast on top. and then sprinkle with the dried oregano.
  5. Pour the broth over the top of the roast, followed by the balsamic vinegar.
  6. Cover and let simmer on LOW for up to 8 hours.
  7. Remove the lid, and turn the heat OFF.
  8. With 2 forks, slowly pull the roast apart, mixing in the broth and the cranberries as you do.
  9. Measure out 4 ounces of the mixture for each serving.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 121; Protein 16g; Carbohydrate 4g; Fat 4g; Fibre 1g.

Cranberry Pulled Pork in the Crockpot

Cranberry Pulled Pork in the Crockpot1

Cranberry Pulled Pork in the Crockpot2


What’s your favorite crockpot meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment.