Doesn’t everything just taste better with bacon on it?
I don’t eat regular pasta anymore, preferring zoodles or spaghetti squash strands over wheat flour or even brown rice noodles. But The Captain does like his pasta so I threw this together for lunch on Tuesday after we came home from the tennis court.
I was hungry, and hoped this might be quick. I already had some zoodles prepared and waiting in the fridge, so I put some water on to boil for The Captain’s linguine noodles while I made this sauce. It all came together in about 20 minutes.
I always keep some cooked, crumbled bacon in the freezer. It is just so handy to add a spoonful or two for a little flavor boost. I also keep peeled garlic cloves in the fridge, too. If you don’t have crushed tomatoes on hand, use diced, or even fresh.. and you could also use your immersion/handheld blender to puree them if you like.
Bacon and Tomato Sauce
Makes 2 servings.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 3/4 cup white onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh or dried basil for garnish and flavor punch
- Warm the olive oil in a skillet or saucepan over MEDIUM heat.
- Add the garlic and onions and saute about till softenened but not browned, about 7 or 8 minutes.
- Add the bacon and mix.
- Add the tomatoes and red pepper flakes and mix again. Allow to heat through.
- Remove from heat and then ladle sauce over noodles of choice on serving plates. Garnish and season before serving.
Per serving, sauce only.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 132; Protein 8g; Carbohydrate 10g; Fat 7g; Fibre 2g.
If you like this recipe, won't you please consider Pinning it? Thanks so much.