I creamed some butter in a large bowl and added some brown sugar and beat. and then I added some salt instead of white sugar into the batter. After several minutes I realized my error and threw the whole mess away… washed my hands, got out some clean utensils and started over. Arghhh!
But after I finally and successfully made those cookies, I started thinking about a few other minor kitchen disasters I have had over the years. I haven’t blown anything up, but I did start a fire in the toaster once, and I have had several minor burns and cuts… one that resulted in stitches at the ER.
The year I cooked my first ever Christmas turkey, we had guests on Christmas Eve for dinner. I did a very traditional meal… roast turkey with all the fixin’s and after our guests were wined and dined and gone home, I set the leftover turkey in the oven to get it out of the way while I did the dishes… I found it 3 days later when I opened the oven door to bake some cookies (hmmm…. probably chocolate chip) and found the little carcass there, wearing a green fuzzy coat, and smelling pretty rank.
That is not something I will likely ever forget… the color of that mold or the smell of it either!
So this reminiscing got me to wondering what kinds of things other people get up to in their kitchens. I asked some Fitfluential friends to share some of their culinary mishaps and here are some of the responses I got. I swear you can’t make this stuff up!
I know you will enjoy these stories as much as I did! Go ahead and CLICK on the highlighted text to link to the original blog post and see their pictures, too.
- Laura from Sprint 2 the Table shows you a picture of why you should never cook topless! Ouch!
- Emily from Perfection isn’t Happy admits to learning a humbling lesson. My MIL would love this one for sure.
- Christine from Love Life Surf advises how not to make a birthday cake. Ah…
- A bit of advice from Coco from Running with Perseverance on hiding spinach in your family’s food! Yeah, that color! And she also shared a little story about an incident with a smoke detector.
- A couple of stories from Carrie from Family Fitness Food… one about her failure when attempting to make almond butter and another about a recommended protein cookie recipe that didn’t work out…
- And a really funny story about a Thanksgiving Dinner that nearly didn’t happen from Erika at MCM Mama. I think I might have given up!
The ingredients sound good - 1/3c ground oats, 1 serving Whey protein, 1 egg, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon and ½ tsp. baking powder.
And Carrie’s comment? “Not sure what went wrong. They were awful.”
Yes, they do look a little crunchy, Carrie!
“ I love to bake for my family. I'm always taking not-so-clean recipes and trying to 'healthify' them. I often add wheat germ, bran, chia and flax seed to cookies, cakes and muffins to boost their nutritional impact.Thanks to all of you for sharing yourselves and your foibles… it makes me feel so much better knowing that some of you make mistakes in the kitchen too!
My daughter's very favourite dessert is a one pot, stove-top brownie. One day I was a bit heavy handed with the flax seed. They turned out very dry and grainy and did not pass the child's 'sweet tooth' test. My husband called it a 'flaxident'; we still refer to the incident every time I make that recipe!”
Do you have a kitchen mishap story that you would like to share with me too?