Monday, June 04, 2012

Bushels of Bok Choy

I had no idea, when I planted a few small bok choy plants a few weeks ago, that they would yield so much!

I have been racking my brain trying to come up with new ways to use it.  I have been cutting it up and adding it to soups, and to stir fries.  I was thinking about using it raw in salads but haven't tried that yet.

But what I did do for lunch recently, was to cut some, wash it and then blanch it, and then mix it with an Asian inspired dressing and some cashews... was a great lunch and would be a really nice side dish with some chicken or pork, I think.

You can easily adjust the ingredients to make as many servings as you would like....  I was tempted to take a piece of bread and soak up the dressing that was left in the bottom of my bowl, but I didn't... next time I make this, I will use more bok choy!


Blanched Bok Choy Toss
Makes 2 servings
  • 3 or 4 bunches bok choy, washed and separated
  • 2 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 Tbs rice vinegar
  • 1 Tbs canola oil
  • 1 ounce roasted salted cashews, bits or whole
  1. Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan and blanch bok choy boy plunging it into boiling water for 30 seconds.
  2. Remove it from boiling water, drain and rinse under running cold water till cooled.
  3. Pat dry and cut into pieces.
  4. Place half into each of 2 salad bowls.
  5. Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar and canola oil and then spoon half over bok choy pieces in salad bowl; repeat with remaing half.
  6. Mix bok choy with dressing and then top each bowl with 1/2 ounce of the cashews.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 161; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 8g; Fat 14g; Fibre 2g.


Clean and cut the stem ends from fresh bok choy.


Plunge into boiling water for one minute to blanch.

Drain, rinse under cold water, then pat dry.


Cut and toss with dressing.  Top with cashews.


Use more bok choy if you like, or almonds instead of cashews.


If you have any ideas to help me eat this bok choy up, I would be so grateful!
  

3 comments:

  1. Love the addition of the cashews! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has tons of bok choy too. I'll have to send this along to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never bought or cooked bok choy, but this looks like a great recipe. I will have to try it and maybe grow some next season too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.