I love crunchy, fresh, filling, nutritious, and delicious salads... and they just seem to taste that much better in warmer weather.
I don't buy cottage cheese very often as I have been very disappointed with the fat free varieties available locally. So, I took a chance this week on some 1% and although it was a bit creamier in texture than I normally like, it was very tasty and inspired this lunch.
I heaped our plates full of leafy mixed greens and then layered on the cottage cheese and a variety of fresh vegetables. I drizzled a teaspoon of olive oil and about a tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar over the whole works... a dash of salt and pepper, and a sprig of fresh cilantro and we were eating lunch.
You can add any flavorful toppings you like such as crumbled bacon, sliced black olives, sunflower seeds, avocado chunks, shrimp, chia seeds, or even croutons... just make sure to count the Points Plus values if you are following the Weight Watchers program.
This salad was very simple and here is how I put it together.
Garden Fresh Veggies With Cottage Cheese
Makes 1 large serving
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups mixed salad greens of your choosing
- 2/3 cup cottage cheese
- slices of cucumber, tomato, onion, red bell pepper
- baby carrots and fresh cilantro for garnish
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbs white balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- dashes of basil and oregano if desired
- Place the mixed greens on a large plate or in a bowl.
- Spoon cottage cheese on top of the greens and then layer on veggies and toppings.
- Season as desired.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5 *
Calories 195; Protein 17g; Carbohydrate 19g; Fat 6g; Fibre 5g.
* If you count only the cottage cheese, olive oil, and vinegar, the P+ = 3. It is up to you as to how you count.
I think this would make a great lunch to take along to work as well... but I would pack the cottage cheese separately so that the greens stay crisp till you are ready to eat.
It is very filling, with all the protein that the cottage cheese contains and kept me satisfied all afternoon.