Monday, May 28, 2012

Fresh Homemade Salsa

Now that we have a container garden on our apartment balcony, I have enough cilantro to share with everyone in the building. I had no idea when I planted these 6 little plantlets a few weeks ago how quickly they would grow!


So, if you see lots of my recipes using cilantro over the next few weeks, you will know why.  And actually, it is very good for us... I did a post featuring cilantro a while back and there are many health benefits to eating this tasty herb.

Yesterday I found bell peppers on sale at my favorite local freggie market, so I stocked up on yellow, green, red, and orange, and when I got home I started washing and chopping and made a batch of fresh salsa.

I love salsa, and fresh is really the best.  I love the crunchiness of the fresh peppers and it is nice to be able to season it just the way I like with salt and pepper, lemon or lime juice, and as much cilantro as I like.  And, because The Captain is not a fan of hot spicy dishes, I can make some up for him and then add a bit more chopped jalapeno pepper to mine. 

Use whatever colored bell peppers you can find... make it as colorful as you like, and if you don't have ripe tomatoes, use canned - just squeeze the extra juice out of them as you cut them.  Cut everything up as finely as you have the patience for!

And be very careful with the jalapeno pepper.  Do not touch your face or run your eyes if you handle it with bare hands... make sure you wash your hands well after you are finished cutting up the pepper.

The one I had was so powerful that I could feel in my throat the strength of the flavor as I was cutting it up.  Not quite sneezing, but I certainly was aware of it.




Fresh Salsa
Makes just over 1 cup
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup chopped tomato
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • salt and pepper to tast
  • quick splash of lemon or lime juice
Mix everything together and refrigerate for at least an hour to let the flavors meld.

Per 1/4 cup serving (approx. 1/4th total recipe)
Weight Watchers P+ = 0.
Calories = 15; Protein 1g; Carbohydrate 3g; Fat 0g; Fibre 1g.

This salsa keeps nicely in the fridge for a day or two and I like to used it in a variety of different dishes.

I had some for dinner on a plateful of corn chips...


And on my morning omelette...



And at lunch time, piled on a cooked sweet potato topped with black beans...



Do you like salsa?  Do you ever make your own?

Do you have any ideas as to how I can use all the cilantro I am growing?



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE salsa! It is a staple around here, but I have never been able to make my own. This is a recipe I might like to try. It looks so fresh and delicious too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.