When I want to serve it I usually just pop it into a small saucepan, still frozen, and cover with a lid... heat on MEDIUM, stirring occasionally till it is heated through. Then serve it with whatever side dishes you like... cooked leftover veggies, rice, or even on toast.
There are so many different spices and herbs that can be used with the pork. I have made it with tomato sauce in BBQ style, with apples and raisins, with chili peppers and vegetables, and with balsamic vinegar and onions. This time around I used canned Mandarin oranges and garlic, and call it Caribbean Pulled Pork. Lovely.
That first evening I served it with avocado on Romaine lettuce leaves that we could wrap and eat with our fingers, alongside some creamy coleslaw. Since then I have enjoyed the leftovers with Cauliflower Rice, over cooked and mashed sweet potatoes, and with carrots and pea; The Captain likes it served over a toasted and split roll, like Sloppy Joes, or over rice. Your choice. It’s all good.
I will give you the N.I. for the ingredients I used, but if that is not important to you, don’t fuss over it. Just put your pork in the slow cooker with the oranges and garlic, and cook. Then shred with 2 forks after it is done. Easy, and delicious! And if you are eating strictly Paleo, then use fresh oranges instead of the canned.
Makes 35 servings of 2 ounces (after cooking weight) each
- 4-3/4 lb. lean pork loin roast, all fat trimmed off
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 Tbs cumin
- 1 cup canned Mandarin oranges with juice
- Dashes of salt and pepper
- Lightly coat the interior of the slow cooker with a non-stick spray for easy cleanup.
- Pierce the outside of the pork roast with a knife in 8 different places around the outside, making a half inch gash each time.
- Push a piece of garlic into each gash.
- Lightly coat a large non-stick skillet over MEDIUM heat and put the pork roast in the pan.
- Turning frequently, cook the pork roast just a couple of minutes till all outside edges are browned.
- Place the pork roast in the bottom of the crock pot and sprinkle the cumin over it.
- Puree the Mandarin oranges in your blender or with an immersion blender and pour over the pork and garlic.
- Cover with the slow cooker lid and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- After cooking remove all but 1 cup of the liquid.
- Shred the pork by pulling it apart with 2 forks, and incorporate the remaining liquid as you do so. Add back liquid as desired to make it the consistency you like. I ended up adding back most of the liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper to serve.
Weight Watchers P+ = 2.
Calories 92; Protein 13g; Carbohydrate 1g; Fat 3g; Fibre 0g.
The sides of the slow cooker get pretty messy during cooking so that light coating of non-stick spray really makes a difference in the clean up process.
Messy but fun and informal lettuce wraps… the avocado is a nice garnish.