When we first got up in the morning, we had coffee and then I decided I wanted to get in a short run before we had breakfast… The Captain said he would like to go along, so we both ate small bananas before lacing up our running shoes and heading out.
When it was time to get breakfast together, I knew I wanted to make us some pancakes, because we had these beautiful fresh strawberries to enjoy on top. But I would normally use a banana in my pancake batter. We had already eaten a banana so I decided to use some unsweetened applesauce instead. I usually have these little individual cups of applesauce on hand. I buy any of several different brands, depending upon what is on sale. These happen to be from Wal-mart. Each container holds approximately 1/2 cup of applesauce.
You can easily double this recipe for more cakes, or even halve it if you are having breakfast alone. You could also make up the cakes and keep leftovers in the refrigerator to be reheated another day in the mike.
This recipe makes 4 pancakes… enough for 2 for breakfast.
Grain Free Pancakes
Makes 2 servings of 2 cakes each
- 2 eggs
- 1 container (1/2 cup) of unsweetened applesauce
- 4 Tbs almond flour
- dash of vanilla
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 2 tsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Beat the eggs and applesauce together in a medium bowl.
- Add the almond flour, vanilla, cinnamon and mix till well combined.
- Add the coconut flour 1 tsp at a time and mix after each addition.
- Add the baking powder and mix again.
- Lightly coat a skillet with non-stick spray and set over MEDIUM heat.
- When the pan is hot, ladle 1/4 of the batter (between 3 and 4 Tbs) into the pan. Allow to cook about 5 minutes until the edges are somewhat dry and bubbles appear in the centre.
- Flip and cook the second side about 2 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan to a serving plate and cover to keep warm.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter until you have 4 pancakes.
- Garnish as desired and serve warm.
WW P+ = 5.
Calories 187; Protein 10g; Carbohydrate 11g; Fat 12g; Fibre 4g.
I added a bit of Greek yogurt and some sugar free syrup to mine.
The Captain opted for real syrup on his... no yogurt for him.
Are you a nut flour fan, too?
What is your favorite kind of pancakes?
If you like this recipe, please consider Pinning or Tweeting via @WeCanBegin2Feed. Thanks!