Sunday, September 28, 2014

Chocolate PB Frozen Protein Bites

This did not start out to be a post about North Coast Naturals unflavored whey protein powder… honestly.  But since I have used it, I cannot quit raving about it.

I have been a fan of North Coast Naturals products since I first started using them during this past year. And every time I open something new from them, I am completely blown away. This unflavored whey protein is no exception there, that’s for sure.

I wanted to make a batch of my Frozen Protein Bites, and try using some PB2 instead of a nut butter, in order to keep the fat content down a bit.  I had picked up several jars of PB2 and Chocolate PB2 while we were on vacation in Portland, OR this past Summer, and then a few more on our way home from Colorado a few weeks ago. I love it.

I decided to try the Chocolate PB2 with some banana in my mixture, but didn’t want to overpower the peanut butter flavor with a chocolate protein powder… or make it too sweet tasting, which can happen with a vanilla protein powder, so I chose this unflavored version from the box of goodies that North Coast sent me a few weeks ago… I hadn’t tried it before and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to give it a test.

And it came through with flying colors… why?  Because it has no taste. It truly is unflavored.  And it doesn’t alter the taste of any of the ingredients you put with it.  These bites are exactly what I wanted… just chocolate with peanut butter and banana. The fact that they are powered up with protein is just a bonus.  YAY!


Chocolate PB Frozen Protein Bites

Chocolate PB2 Frozen Protein Bites
Makes 8 bites
  • 1 small – medium banana, mashed
  • 1 scoop NCN unflavored whey protein powder
  • 2 Tbs Chocolate PB2 reconstituted with 1 Tbs water
  1. Mix the mashed banana with the protein powder till well-blended in a small bowl.
  2. Add the reconstituted PB2 to the mixture and stir altogether.
  3. Place about one tablespoonful of batter into each of 8 silicone muffin cups.
  4. Place in the freezer for a couple of hours.
  5. Store frozen and allow to thaw for a few minutes before eating.
Per serving of one bite.
Weight Watchers P+ = 1.
Calories 31; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 4g; Fat 0g; Fibre 0g.

Frozen Protein Bites ingredients
Protein powder, mashed banana and Chocolate PB2 mixed with water… that is it!


Frozen Protein Bites mixture
Mix them all together…

Frozen Protein Bites in muffin cups
and spoon into silicone muffin cups and freeze.  I use silicone because the frozen bites just pop right out of them and don’t stick.




Do you like to have a little nibble before you work out?  

What is your favorite pre-workout snack?

6 comments:

  1. I tend not to eat anything specific before I GET GET GET MOVING and PLAYING but afterschool? These would be a huge hit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! Anything chocolate peanut butter is right up my alley. Add banana and you can pretty much guarantee it'll be gone in a flash around me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a simple ingredient list. why are chocolate and banana just the best thing ever?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.