Friday, September 05, 2014

My Strawberry Coffee Protein Shake

We spent a fun and active week in Portland, OR at the end of July  to celebrate The Captain’s birthday.  It was hot… 90°F and upwards… and so much drier than we are used to. I had forgotten how we take our cooling, moist ocean breezes for granted here on the Island.
 
We left the car in a Park and Ride lot early one morning and rode the speedy MAX commuter train into downtown so we could spend the day exploring the the city core on foot.  At one point in the afternoon we stopped at  nice-looking Starbuck’s, and decided to splurge on a pair Frappucinos to cool us down and also give us a bit of a caffeine boost to power us through an afternoon of shopping… tough, I know.

I cannot for the life of me remember what I ordered… probably something with vanilla and skim milk, no whip.. but I do remember what The Captain ordered… a Strawberries & Creme Frappucino with an extra shot of coffee… because the barista came over to tell him that their Strawberries & Creme Frapps don’t actually have any coffee in them, and asked if he really wanted some… which he certainly did… 2 shots.  And gosh, it was pretty delicious, and looked amazingly like the picture on their web site although it came in a plastic container.
 
Starbucks Strawberries & Creme Frappucino

Now this drink has been on my mind a lot ever since… and today I decided to give it a try.. with a bit of a twist... and no whip.

We did a strenuous Metabolic Aftershock workout this morning that really worked our legs hard, then stretched and then went out for our usual half-hour walk… and when we got back, we were both quite hungry.  There were some fresh strawberries in the fridge at their peak of ripeness so I put together a few ingredients in the immersion blender and came up with these drinks.

You could use any milk you like, and any vanilla protein powder, too. I happen to love the North Coast Naturals 100% ISO whey. Halve the ingredients if you want to make a single shake. 

Unfortunately my pictures are not pretty, but the drink was delicious!  There is no need to add any sweetener, but if you wanted more color, you definitely toss in a few more berries!  This was a real pick-me-up after our workout and walk, and gave me enough fuel to last several hours.


Strawberry Coffee Protein Shake

Strawberry Coffee Protein Shake
Makes 2 servings
  • 3/4 cup cold coffee
  • 1-1/4 cups cold vanilla Almond Breeze
  • 2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
  • 6 fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
  1. Put all the ingredients into a container and then whizz for a couple of minutes with your immersion blender.
  2. Pour into 2 glasses and enjoy!
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 144; Protein 25g; Carbohydrate 5g; Fat 3g; Fibre 1g.

Strawberry Coffee Protein Shake2
Toss it all together and blend!



Do you ever add protein to your coffee drinks.. or coffee to your protein drinks?

If you like this idea I hope you will PIN it or share it on Twitter via @WeCanBegin2Feed... thanks!



2 comments:

  1. I've never added protein powder to my coffee, but that's because I don't drink coffee very often, but I really think the next time I do, I WILL! :) I did however just receive some cappuccino protein powder in the mail :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've added vanilla or chocolate to coffee protein drinks... never strawberry hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.