I have used coconut oil instead of my usual olive oil here in roasting these veggies. I am making an effort to use more coconut oil in my cooking these days and this is a natural fit.
You cannot imagine how good the aroma coming from kitchen was as this baked away in my oven! I wish I could capture that and share it with you! The whole, smashed cloves of garlic in this dish smell just wonderful as they cook. And yes, my windows are still open wide, long after removed the pan from the oven.
I calculated the N.I. for this dish as 4 servings, but honestly, I could easily make a meal of this just for myself! And if you like really cheesy, by all means... add more!
A word of caution here… don’t slice the onions too thin or they will just disappear as they bake. I like to leave them at least 1/2 inch in width.
Makes 4 generous servings
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1/2 medium to large white onion (cut it in half vertically)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- Dashes of salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Wash the cauliflower and remove its core and leaves. Break it into flowerettes and place them in large bowl.
- Slice the onion vertically and place the pieces in the bowl with the cauliflower.
- Add the peeled and smashed garlic cloves to onions and cauliflower and toss altogether.
- Drizzle the coconut oil over veggies and mix well.
- Pour it all into a roasting pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and stir veggies.
- Place the pan back in oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the veggies with the parmesan cheese.
- Place the pan back in the oven for a final 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Serve warm or cooled.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 132; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 16g; Fat 6g; Fibre 6.
Mix all the veggies together in a large bowl and drizzle with coconut oil.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper before placing the pan in the oven.
After 20 minutes, remove from oven, stir vegetables, and then replace in oven for another 20 minutes before sprinkling with parmesan cheese and baking a final 20 minutes.
Serve hot from the oven, or allow to cool and store in fridge till ready to serve. Reheat in microwave or eat cold… great either way!
What is your favorite way to eat cauliflower?