Thursday, September 06, 2012

Gluten Free Almond Meal and Raisin Cookies

Since I gave up gluten I have only eaten one cookie!

It was from a batch made by a lovely gentleman who was giving a lawn bowling lesson to The Captain and me, a few weeks ago.  After the lesson, several of us went into the clubhouse for tea and he offered these lovely looking homemade cookies... I didn't have one because I assumed that they were a traditional, flour-based cookie.  But, later, when he was putting the lid back on the container, he mentioned that they were gluten-free... of course my ears pricked up!

He said that he had simply substitued ground flax seeds for the flour that his recipe called for.  I decided that I must try one... and it was pretty good!  I  have been jonesing for a cookie ever since. 

So I looked in my baking cupboard and found some almond meal that I thought should be used and came up with these.  They are very tasty and certainly met my need for a cookie fix!  Actually, I ate 3 of them, and had to put off lunch for a couple of hours.

The raisins give them just the right amount of sweet.  What I should have done though, is bake them for a minute or 2 less than I did so will give you a range of baking times because your oven may be a bit different from mine.

They are grain-free and that is important to me right now so I think now that I have come up with a basic formula, the possibilities for add-ins and flavor changes will keep me satisfied for a long time to come... other dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips... I am one happy cookie monster now!


 

Gluten-Free Almond Meal Raisin Cookies
Makes 15 cookies
  • 1 cup almond meal
  • 2 Tbs ground flax
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbs agave nectar
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Mix the almond meal, flax, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Stir in the raisins.
  3. Combine the egg, vanilla, and agave together in a small bowl.
  4. Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture until well blended.
  5. Scoop dough by the spoonful and place on a cookie sheet that has been covered with parchment paper.
  6. Slightly flatten each cookie.
  7. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes and allow to rest for a few minutes before removing to baking sheet to finish cooling.
Per serving of 1 cookie.
Weight Watchers P+ = 2.
Calories 72; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 7g; Fat 4g; Fibre 1g.

But really, who ever eats just one cookie?  Here is the N.I. for the little snack I made of them:

Per serving of 3 cookies.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 217; Protein7g; Carbohydrate 21g; Fat 13g; Fibre 3g.


It is a sticky dough and easy to scoop out of the bowl with a spoon.
 

Parchment paper is much easier than a greased cookie sheet.


These cookies do not spread so you can crowd them on the sheet a bit if you need.


2 comments:

  1. Giving up cookies would be tough for me. These look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made these yesterday. DH loved them, and so did I! I had mine with some black cherry greek yogurt...decadent treat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.