Saturday, September 29, 2012

Baking Cookies on Saturday Afternoon

When I first made gluten-free cookies, using a mixture of almond meal and ground flax seeds, a couple of weeks ago, I had a hunch that they would become a favorite... but I did think that they could be improved on... at least a bit!

I love cookies... and I have been missing them since I first gave up gluten several weeks ago.  I need a basic cookie dough that I can rely on to give me a tasty and authentic cookie when I want one!

So, today I made them again, but I used less almond meal, and replaced it with more ground flax... and I baked them for 2 minutes less as well.  They are delicious!

I scooped the dough with a one-tablespoon measure and they made 13 cookies. You could certainly make them smaller if you like.   And of course you could use any flavor baking chips or dried fruit or nuts as well.

The Captain and I both enjoyed a couple of them, still warm from the oven and we agreed this recipe is a keeper!  I love the nutty flavor of the ground flax seeds and the texture is really good.... soft but chewy.  It doesn't need any more tweaking.... hurray!

If you are looking for a good gluten-free and grain-free cookie, I hope you will give these a try!



Gluten-Free Almond Meal and PB Chip Cookies
Makes 13 cookies
  • 3/4 cup almond meal
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter chips 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbs agave nectar
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Mix the almond meal, flax, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Stir in the peanut butter chips.
  3. Combine the egg, vanilla, and agave together in a small bowl.
  4. Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture until well blended.
  5. Scoop dough by the spoonful and place on a cookie sheet that has been covered with parchment paper.
  6. Slightly flatten each cookie.
  7. Bake for 10 minutes and allow to rest for a few minutes before removing to baking sheet to finish cooling.
Per serving of 1 cookie.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 93; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 9g; Fat 6g; Fibre 1g.

Gluten-free Grain-free and delicious!
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a GF eater, but I do love almond meal. But where did you find pb chips? I have to special order them from King Arthur Flour. I have some fab recipes that call for them, but it's a pain trying to get the chips.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.