Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil Review

I first began using Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil in the Fall of 2011 when I received a 32 oz. jar of their Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil to sample.

I was a bit confused by it at first… it seemed solid at room temperature and cooler, and I learned that in this form it is referred to as coconut butter… when gently warmed, it liquifies and becomes coconut oil.  Have you been confused by that, too?


Feb 25 coconut butter

Either way,  I liked it immediately and  I developed some new recipes in my galley just to make use  of it:

Oct3,11oats 003
 
 
Oct15,11candy 004
 
and included them in a review of the product I published at that time.  I also submitted them to Tropical Traditions for inclusion on their web site.

Since then, Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil has replaced olive oil in my cooking and my baking on a regular basis.  I really prefer the taste and I particularly like that this coconut oil can handle the higher heat required when stir frying veggies and browning roasts.  It is great to use in frying things such as cauliflower and garlic to make ‘rice’ and prepare for pizza ‘crusts’.  It is great in muffins and loaves and breads, and I find it works very well for sauces, curries and soups as well.

And that is not to even MENTION how wonderful it smells when cooking... no matter what I might be making, The Captain always comes into the kitchen to compliment the lovely aroma and anticipate what great tasting goodie I might be cooking for him!  The aroma is much stronger than the actual taste.



Dec 28 Soup 005
 
A few months ago I started using coconut oil to brush my teeth as well…. mixed with a bit of baking soda to make a paste, it brightens and whitens my teeth and gives them a smooth and shiny finish! 
I know that lots of people are also using it to condition their hair and their skin.
 
 
Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil - 32 oz.

Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil is hand crafted in small batches by family producers, and it is the highest quality coconut oil they offer. You can read more about how virgin coconut oil is different from other coconut oils on their website:



Tropical Traditions also carries other varieties of affordable high quality

You can visit their website to check current promotions, to learn about the many uses of coconut oil, and to read about all the advantages of buying coconut oil online.
 
If you are interested in learning about its health benefits here is the best website to read about the many health benefits of coconut oil.
 
Do you use coconut oil in your baking and cooking?
 
Do you have any non-food uses for it?
 
 
Be sure to check back next week… there is a giveaway coming up!
 
 
Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.



10 comments:

  1. That bark looks fabulous! I like to cook with coconut oil, but it's also fabulous for my dry hands. All my cooking makes them crack and the oil helps seal in moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I love the idea of coconut oil and have some sitting in my kitchen but I've been so confused by how to use it. Thanks for the different suggestions. This has given me some encouragement to actually use my coconut oil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question - I got some of this too... But does it taste like coconut cause I am NOT fond of that flavor... You say it smells good, which I am not opposed to, but I just want to know about its flavor! :)

    Regardless, maybe I will start brushing my teeth with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use coconut oil quite frequently with baking and cooking even though I'm not a particular fan of coconut flavor. Weird, huh?

    I need to try to brush my teeth with it. I've heard great things about that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I love coconut oil! I used it for cooking for a while now, and have recently begun moisturizing my skin with it. SO many uses :)

    The melting point, I believe, is 76 degrees F., so unless your home is particularly warm, it will be solid until tossed in the frying pan, where it melts down immediately. It's actually much safer to cook with coconut oil than olive oil, due to the higher smoke point, so I, too, have completely switched over. Now I only used olive oil for things to be eaten fresh.

    On the skin, the oil (or "butter") also melts as you rub it on. It feels so smooth! I only began this last week but am loving it. Haven't tried it as toothpaste though, but I certainly believe it! Might give it a try; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bake with it and use it on sweet potatoes. The Caveman is a huge fan as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ADORE MY COCONUT OIL FOR PULLING (she shouts).
    it has helped my teeth and skin immenself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lurks4recipes@eastlink.ca27 February 2013 at 05:28

    I haven't tried that particular brand of coconut oil, but I do like it for sauting. I have also used it in baking. I agree that it smells wonderful. I have found that there is a difference in quality among the various coconut oils available...some arn't as creamy and some leave a residual aftertaste (my experience indicates that this occurs with the less expensive brands).

    On a different unrelated note, I was thinking that perhaps nutritional yeast could be added to some sauces as an acceptable paleo thickener (like the butterless butter chicken which is delicious when the chicken is fried in the coconut oil).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't used coconut anything ... yet!

    Oh wait, I did a few years ago and the dish was pretty awesome! It was inspired by my amazing mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some in the house but have not used it a lot. Curious about do you also brush with regular toothpaste & how much coconut oil to baking soda?

    I need to start using on my skin too.... I am worried that I will smell too much & that it will not soak in enough...

    Thx for all this great info!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.