Well, The Captain asked for meatloaf as he hadn't had any for some time... so I quickly agreed and then had to really think about how I was going to make one that would meet the requirements of my Whole30 Paleo Challenge... in other words, I could not use any bread or cracker crumbs, or oats in the mixture.
I used a couple of tablespoons of Homemade Balsamic Ketchup in this dish. If you are not concerned about the Whole30 aspect, use your favorite commercial ketchup, or if you do want sugar-free, then use a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and a dash of balsamic vinegar.
I came up with a loaf that is juicy and tasty and got a thumbs up from the hungry man, so I decided it was worth sharing! The leftovers are in the freezer and we will be enjoying it again soon.
My Paleo Meatloaf
Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 2 large stalks celery, diced
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs sugar free ketchup
- dashes of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix all ingredients together well and place in a loaf pan that has been lightly coated with a non-stick spray.
- Bake for one hour and then remove to cooling rack.
- Cut into 4 pieces to serve.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 249; Protein 26g; Carbohydrate 7g; Fat 13g; Fibre 1g.
Do you like meatloaf?
Any ideas as to what I could do with some more of the ground beef?