Sunday, February 17, 2013

My Paleo Meatloaf.. Scored a Hit

We lucked into a very good buy on some extra lean ground beef recently, so I picked up a couple of packages... brought it home and then wondered what I was going to do with it.  Do you ever do that?

Well, The Captain asked for meatloaf as he hadn't had any for some time... so I quickly agreed and then had to really think about how I was going to make one that would meet the requirements of my Whole30 Paleo Challenge... in other words, I could not use any bread or cracker crumbs, or oats in the mixture.

I used a couple of tablespoons of  Homemade Balsamic Ketchup in this dish. If you are not concerned about the Whole30 aspect, use your favorite commercial ketchup, or if you do want sugar-free, then use a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and a dash of balsamic vinegar.

I came up with a loaf that is juicy and tasty and got a thumbs up from the hungry man, so I decided it was worth sharing!   The leftovers are in the freezer and we will be enjoying it again soon.



Jan 25 meatloaf dinner 001
 


My Paleo Meatloaf
Makes 4 servings
  • 1 pound extra lean ground beef
  • 3/4 cup onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
  • 2 large stalks celery, diced
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbs sugar free ketchup
  • dashes of salt and pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Mix all ingredients together well and place in a loaf pan that has been lightly coated with a non-stick spray.
  3. Bake for one hour and then remove to cooling rack.
  4. Cut into 4 pieces to serve.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 249; Protein 26g; Carbohydrate 7g; Fat 13g; Fibre 1g.

 


Do you like meatloaf?

Any ideas as to what I could do with some more of the ground beef?




9 comments:

  1. Looks delish for the hubby! I wold make it for me with extra lean ground turkey! I already have my own recipe for that but changing up the flavors is fun! I am lazy so I just add salsa & TJ's hot/sweet mustard OR my homemade guac that has the above anyway & love the taste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had meatloaf in ages but this looks super simple. Thanks for sharing Elle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. meatballs, meaty spaghetti squash sauce, shepherds pie with cauliflower mashed instead of potatoes, hamburger soup, lettuce wraps. I think we have burger at least once a week. :) I am not a huge meatloaf fan but I do love meatballs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you believe I've never made meatloaf?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great! Do you think it had the consistency of meatloaf? Or was it more like a meat pie/hamburger meat dish?
    Thanks for sharing!
    As far as other dishes with ground beef, I love just seasoning up a batch with "taco spices" (paleo friendly) and using it over a couple days. Some in my eggs, some atop a salad, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can go either way with meatloaf, but M loves it and I have been looking for a healthy recipe. Can't wait to try this one - thank you! It looks SO good, it might even make me a meatloaf fan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never really had meat loaf before... That being said, would you mind saving me some, I will swing by your place and get some! LOL! This looks FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my mom ALWAYS makes meat loaf with velveta cheese! I haven't had it any other way. That wouldn't make it paleo though haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I never thought about leaving the bread crumbs out but it sounds like it worked beautifully!

    For the rest of your ground beef....I would mix it with veggie purees such as carrot or zucchini and make burgers that you could eat in lettuce wraps. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.