Monday, July 22, 2013

A New Coconut and Flax Protein Pancake

I have been experimenting a bit with pancake recipes again lately.  Eggs and omelets just don’t cut it every day for breakfast…

I do like the flavor that coconut flour brings to my morning cakes, but today I wanted something a little different so I added a bit of vanilla whey protein powder and ground flax to the mix.  They turned out really well… nice texture and great taste. 

The cake fluffs up quite nicelly, too… no need for baking powder this time.

I served it with a bit of sugar free syrup and some fresh strawberries… if I had thawed frozen berries, I wouldn’t bother with the syrup at all.  You could also top these with your favorite nut butter or a bit of honey or maple syrup too.


July 22 pancakes 002

Coconut and Flax Protein Pancake
Makes 1 serving
  • 1 Tbs milled flax seed
  • 1 Tbs coconut flour
  • 1 Tbs vanilla whey protein powder
  • 1/4 cup egg whites (2 egg whites)
  • splash of water
  • dash of cinnamon
  1. Mix together the flax seed, coconut flour, protein powder and egg whites in a bowl.
  2. Add a splash of water and cinnamon and mix again.
  3. Pour into a heated non-stick pan and cook for about 3 minutes.
  4. Flip and cook the second side for about another 2 minutes.
  5. Remove to plate and serve.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 142; Protein 15g; Carbohydrate 8g; Fat 5g; Fibre 5g.

July 22 pancakes 001
Flipped and cooking the second side.

July 22 pancakes 003
Plated and ready to enjoy.


July 22 pancakes 004

July 22 pancakes 005

There you have it!  Gluten free, grain free, low in carbs and high in protein.  Just right up my alley.  I know my WW buddies will appreciate the N.I. in these especially, and forgive me for the sugar free syrup!

Do you like coconut flour pancakes?

3 comments:

  1. Those look like the PERFECT PANCAKES ever!! :) And I have never used coconut flour but it seems to be getting a lot of praise lately... I may just have to JUMP on board! Does it taste really coconuty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all things coconut so I bet I like this too. Looks good, I will have to Pin this so I remember to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.