I had a bag of carrots sitting in the refrigerator, that I needed to use, so I peeled them, but normally when my carrots are very fresh I just wash them and cut the ends off. Your choice.
It only took 45 minutes to cook, but I was getting so hungry I had to eat a small apple to keep my tummy from growling and entertain myself with cryptic crosswords from the newspaper… sometimes things just seem to take too long when you’re waiting, don’t they?
But it was so worth the short wait... truly delicious. I love the flavor of carrots, and I bet roasting the carrots before putting them in the soup would make it taste even better! I have to remember that for next time and get started earlier.
The curry and the red pepper flakes are very subtle flavors in this soup. Barely there, but they add to the overall goodness and the pepper flakes definitely add a bit of zing.
I used my homemade turkey stock for this soup. You could use a commercial broth, or a veggie broth, or even water, in a pinch.
And of course if you don’t eat dairy, you can omit the Greek yogurt garnish, too. It’s all good!
Makes 4 servings, approximately 1 cup each
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 3-1/2 ounces chopped white onion
- 20 ounces (1-1/4 lb) carrrots cut into chunks
- 1-1/2 cups broth
- up to 1 cup hot water
- 1 Tbs curry powder
- Sprinkling of red pepper flakes
- Using my usual homemade soup method, heat the coconut oil in a large stock pot, and then added the onions and garlic.
- Cook for about 5 minutes over MEDIUM heat till onions are soft and translucent,being careful not to brown the garlic.
- Add the carrots and allow to cook a few minutes.
- Add the curry powder, and stir to coat the veggies.
- Add the broth and the red pepper flakes. Then turn up heat to HIGH till it boils. Cover, reduce heat to LOW and allow simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree with immersion blender. Add the hot water a few ounces at a time until the mixture reaches the thickness you like. (I used 1 cup and I like a very thick soup.)
- Serve in your favorite bowls. Garnish and season with salt and pepper as desired.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 112; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 18g; Fat 4g; Fibre 5g.
Just salt and pepper for The Captain
Are you a curry fan?
How do you use up the veggies in your fridge?