We had a busy afternoon and by the time I got around to thinking about making something to eat, it was already well past our normal meal time and we were hungry.
I put water on to boil, measured out 4 ounces of spaghetti noodles and started rummaging through the refrigerator for something to put together together to call a sauce.
Here is what I came up with... it was delicious, ready in 15 minutes, and The Captain said he would like to have it again. It is quite garlicky so if that deters you, either leave it out or use less. I bet it would be great over brown rice or farro too.
Beans 'n Bacon Over Pasta
Makes 2 servings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup canned dark red kidney beans
- 2 Tbs pre-cooked real bacon bits
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- dash of spaghetti seasoning
- 1 Tbs lite parmesan shreds
- Cook pasta of your choice according to the directions on the package. I normally allow 2 ounces dry pasta per serving.
- In the meantime, in a microwave casserole dish, combine the garlic, onion, beans, bacon bits,tomatoes, and seasoning.
- Cover the dish and place in the microwave oven on HIGH for 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid, stir the contents and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Divide the cooked and drained pasta between 2 dinner plates and spoon half of the sauce on top of each serving of pasta.
- Sprinkle with parmesan shreds.
Per serving, not including pasta.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 177, Protein 14g; Carbohydrate 23g; Fat 3g, Fibre 6g.
If you do not have spaghetti seasoning, substitute dashes of dried basil and oregano.
Everything in the mike dish, ready to cook.
15 minutes later, plated and ready to eat.