Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Grain-Free Granola... Working the Skinny Rules

Several weeks ago I picked up some gluten-free granola from a vendor at our local community Saturday morning market. I like to support the local growers and bakers and craftspeople where and when we can.

It is fun to wander around the market on sunny Saturday mornings, and talk to the various stall-keepers, pet the neighborhood dogs, enjoy a cup of coffee and listen to some music, before heading home with whatever treasures and fresh produce and flowers we have found that day.

The granola was very good.... it was made with Bob's Red Mill certified gluten-free oats and I quite enjoyed it.  Granola is a rare treat for me because I usually choose to spend my calories and Weight Watchers Points Plus daily target on less calorie dense foods...

However, since I have been avoiding gluten, and eating fewer grains in general, I came across this recipe for grain-free 'granola' on Gabby's Gluten Free.  I Pinned this recipe some time ago and bought the ingredients to make it, and then promptly forgot about it.

Until now!

This week I am joining a group of my online Weight Watchers buddies in following Bob Harper's Skinny Rules.  In case you aren't familiar with him, Bob is a world famous celebrity trainer who has helped people lose masses amount of weight and get fit and healthier, on a reality TV show called The Biggest Loser, over the past several years.  He has produced many workout DVDs and written a couple of books, among a myriad of other accomplishments.

According to Bob, the most important Skinny Rule, is to avoid eating starchy carbs after 1 p.m.  I am finding it a bit tough so this grain-free granola is perfect, especially for a nut-lover like me!  The only ingredients are nuts, ground flax, almond butter, coconut oil and salt.  Very few carbs at all and lots of healthy fats.

I made up a half batch, according to Gabby's recipe, cooking it in my oven at 300° F (rather than the 350° F recommended) and stirring the mixture every 5 minutes.  It did brown a bit more than I expected even at the lower temperature, and I think this browning will depend on the kind of almond butter you use. 

It is delicious!  A couple of tablespoons in the afternoon over a chopped apple is a really filling and nutritious snack.  Oh yes, another Skinny Rule... eat apples every day!  I think a spoonful of Greek yogurt on top would be a nice addition.

 
I stored the leftovers in a sealed container in my refrigerator in order to keep the coconut oil and almond butter solidified and the granola crunchy.


Please visit Gabby's Gluten Free for the original recipe and instructions.  I have calculated the Nutritional Information based on the ingredients I used.

Per 2 Tbs serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 108; Protein 3g;  Carbohydrate 3g; Fat 10g, Fibre 1g.

I used already-sliced almonds and then chopped some walnuts.
 

I melted the coconut oil and almond butter together on low power in the microwave oven and then poured it over the nuts and cinnamon.
 

Stir to combine it all... and then bake.
 

When it comes out of the oven you need to let it cool completely for the almond butter and coconout oil to reset.
 

Add to a chopped apple for a perfect afternoon snack or even a dessert... where's the Greek yogurt?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment.