Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fruity Egg Cake

This recipe was given to me by my dear friend Sharon who lives in Nova Scotia, on the other end of Canada.  She has been doing the Whole30 Paleo Challenge for several days now and came up with this mixture in order to get in a bit of ‘sweet’ one afternoon.

I thought it looked very good and so I made it up and had it for breakfast recently.  It doesn’t look like much, volume-wise, but the fat in the coconut and almond butter, and the protein in the egg whites and almond butter really kept me satisfied for several hours… even through a sweaty and hard 20 minute strength workout.

I have put together little egg white cakes before, but never thought to add these kinds of sweet and chewy bits to them.  Such a great idea!

I will be definitely be making it again… and I think the possibilties for little changes are endless… raisins, shaved almonds, cashew butter, vanilla... and on and on.


Jan 29 fruity egg cake 001


Fruity Egg Cake
Makes 1 serving
  • 2 egg whites
  • 10g dried unsweetened coconut shreds
  • 10g dried dates, chopped
  • 10g dried cranberries, chopped
  • 2 tsp almond butter
  1. Whisk egg whites till frothy.
  2. Fold in coconut, dates, and cranberries.
  3. Put in small microwave-safe dish with sides that has been lightly coated with non-stick spray.
  4. Drizzle almond butter over the mixture and pull through with a knife to swirl and spread somewhat.
  5. Microwave on HIGH in 30 second increments, for 1-1/2 minutes.
  6. Remove to plate and serve.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 211; Protein 10g; Carbohydrate 19g; Fat 12g; Fibre 4g.

4 comments:

  1. Hey - that's looks totally easy and doable and yummy! I've never made egg white cakes before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I don't know why, but I never think to add coconut to dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have all those ingredients (minus the cranberries, but i'll use raisins)...going to make later. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eggs are seriously the BEST THING EVER!! I love egg whites because they adopt ANY flavor!!! :D Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.