Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Curried Butternut Squash and Chicken Soup

This thick, hearty and flavorful soup is much like one I have been making since it was first introduced to me a few months ago by Tamara at fitknitchick.  And I intended to make that same Curried Sweet Potato and Chicken Soup again this week, but the butternut squash was such a good price at my local produce market, and the sweet potatoes were not, so I changed course and ended up with this lovely soup instead.  

It is a pretty big batch so you may want to adjust the amounts... I like to have soup stored in individual servings in the freezer ready to pull out and reheat when I am in a hurry or need a quick snack.

This lovely soup works very nicely into my current Whole30 Paleo Challenge and it is also gluten-free.

I used coconut oil instead of olive oil to saute the veggies. I have come to really love the smell of coconut oil cocoking away in my kitchen and have started using it wherever I can!  And you won't be surprised to learn that I used a can of Kirkland chunk chicken breasts.  If you have chicken already cooked, great... or turkey would be very good, too.

I should tell you that I added a dash of ground coriander along with the cumin, but didn't include it on the ingredient list because I don't really think it is necessary.  Use about 3/4 to 1 tsp of it if you like it.

Don't be put off by the color! The green comes from the kale.  It truly is delicious.  And I have to admit, that being a Weight Watcher, I appreciate that the butternut squash has a much lower calorie count than a sweet potato has, too.



Jan 11 Butternut Squash Soup 003copy


Curried Butternut Squash and Chicken Soup
Makes 14 servings, 1 cup each.
  • 1 Tbs coconut oil
  • 3/4 cup chopped white onion
  • 5 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed and minced
  • 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 30 ounces)
  • 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
  • 1 bunch kale, large stems removed, washed and torn into pieces
  • 1-1/2 Tbs ground cumin
  • 6 cups water
  • 7.5 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Warm the coconut oil in a stock pot or very large saucepan over MEDIUM heat.
  2. Add the garlic and onions and saute about 5 minutes
  3. Add the squash and kale and saute till the kale starts to get shiny, about 5 more minutes. Stir occasionally. 
  4. Add the cumin and stir to coat the vegetables.
  5. Cover the vegetables with the water.
  6. Cover the saucepan, bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer and let cook for 45 minutes.
  7. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about half an hour.
  8. Puree with immersion blender or food processor. (Leave a bit chunky.)
  9. Add chicken to mixture and heat through.
  10. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Per 1 cup serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 2.
Calories 66; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 10g; Fat 1g; Fibre 2g.


Jan 11 Butternut Squash Soup 001
Saute the veggies in the coconut oil.
 

    Jan 11 Butternut Squash Soup 002
    Reheat on the stove to serve.
     
Are you a kale fan?  Does the color ever put you off?

12 comments:

  1. Man... I wish you delivered! Looks like a great soup for flu season. Or anytime - I love sweet butternut with the savory curry flavor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! As a matter of fact I wasn't feeling well yesterday and my husband heated me up a bowl of this for dinner. It was just right!

      Delete
  2. OMGOSH I AM 80% kale these days.
    it's the curry Im not sure about :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally pinning! I've been dying for some new soup recipes to try since it's winter! Very creative one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Laura...could you deliver this please!!! I love soup in the winter! My mom makes the best Portuguese Kale soup! Oh it is such a comfort food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE kale!! the color doesn't bother me at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just printed it! Sounds so good. I am loving soup this winter and always welcome new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! I am headed to the farmer's market shortly. This looks fabulous! Yes! Kale fan here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! This recipe sounds AMAZING! I really need to BRANCH OUT from my typical routine. I love butternut squash, it makes EVERYTHING taste amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Opposite to MzFit, I LOVE curry (and butternut squash), but am not so sure about kale.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.