Friday, January 04, 2013

Beanless Paleo Beef Chili

I love chili. I love the spicy tomato sauce, and I love all of the different vegetables.... and I love the smell of it simmering away on the stove! Iespecially love to have it it stored in my freezer for quick lunches or dinners on busy days, or days when just don't feel like cooking at all. It is comfort food at its best.

I have made many different kinds of chili over the years... with ground beef, or small chunks of a cut of beef called 'chuck steak' or even ground turkey. I have made vegetarian versions with soy crumbles and lots of different varieties of beans. I have made it with so many different kinds of vegetables... and every time it is a bit different, but always delicious!

But this was the first time I was faced with the task of making chili WITHOUT any beans in it.

I am following a legume-free food challenge right now. It is called Whole30 and, in a nutshell, it is the Paleo Food Plan in its purest and most basic form.

So I made up a really thick, spicy chili, with lots of vegetables and some extra lean ground beef... and the first night we had it I had mine spooned over a baked sweet potato... you know those lovely dark orange Beauregard Sweet Potatoes that we mistakenly love to call yams? The Captain enjoyed his over a baked Russet Potato and declared it 'perfect'... which means that it wasn't too hot and spicy, so if you like yours very peppery, you may want to add more spice to the mixture!

For lunch the next day, I had a serving over baked spaghetti squash, and of course it was even better because the spices had had a chance to work longer... chilis and stews and soups always seem to be better the day AFTER you make them, don't you think?

Oh, and if you want beans, just add a can or two of your favorite!




Beanless Paleo Beef Chili
Makes 11 servings of approximately 1 cup each.
  • 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
  • 1 large onion (10 oz.)
  • 5 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
  • 4 medium carrots, diced
  • 3 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 large green pepper, cut into chunks
  • 1 large yellow pepper, cut into chunks
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes (28 oz. each)
  • 1 can tomato paste (5.5 oz.)
  • 1-1/2 Tbs chili pepper powder
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  1. Place the ground beef into a large saucepan or stock pot, over MEDIUM heat, and cook it, stirring occasionally to break up any clumps, until it is browned, about 10 or 15 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic and the oinions and cook till translucent, about 10 minutes more.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover, and simmer about 45 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and serve. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
  5. Leftovers can be stored in fridge a few days, or frozen.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 157; Protein 11g, Carbohydrate 18g; Fat 4g, Fibre 4g.

 


6 comments:

  1. Oh I am totally all over this for this weekend! With the temps so cold this sounds perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finishing up It Starts With Food too. This beanless chili looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa says chili has to have beans? This looks fantastic. In the beer chili I posted yesterday, the meat is definitely more prominent... come to think of it, I probably wouldn't have missed beans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am so making this! The Caveman is anti-bean and begs me to make bean less chili. Looks like it's his lucky day! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the beef chili! Sounds yum. Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.