I haven’t been eating grains for a few months now, but every once in a while I get a yen for a bowl of hot cereal in the morning.
In the past I would have whipped up a pot of my Hot Flax ‘Cereal’ but I wanted something that didn’t have any protein powder in it either… I came up with this and we were both pleasantly surprised.
The Captain is a good guinea pig, but sometimes his enthusiasm is somewhat lacking... I am always very happy when he is surprised in a good way! He approached this bowl very tentatively, I must admit, but ended up finishing it with great relish and asked if there was more!
Hot Grainfree ‘Cereal’
Makes 2 servings
- 1 medium banana
- 2 Tbs gluten-free milled flax seeds
- 2 Tbs almond flour
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 Tbs shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbs raisins to sprinkle on the top
- Mash the banana in a medium bowl.
- Add the flax, almond flour, egg whites, and coconut milk and beat well.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan over MEDIUM heat, and bring to a very gentle boil, stirring continuously to avoid burning. It will take about 5 or 6 minutes and will thicken as it cooks.
- Remove to 2 serving bowls and sprinkle each with 1/2 Tbs of shredded unsweetened coconut and 1 Tbs raisins.
Per serving with toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 235; Protein 11g; Carbohydrate 26g; Fat 10g; Fibre 5g.