But they are so worth it!
I used to make pancakes with protein powder, and they tend to cook up very quickly. But since I did my Whole30 Paleo Challenge in January, I have been making a real effort to eat few processed food items… so coconut flour and almond flour have become a lot more prevalent in my cooking and baking.
But coconut flour can be tricky to work with until you get used to it. Sometimes recipes need a bit more or less liquid than the ingredient lists calls for. And these pancakes are a bit dense and the batter doesn't bubble up like a normal pancake batter, so you don't see that particular signal to see when they need to be flipped. Instead, if you watch the edge, you will see that it is drier and cooking!
The finished pancakes are really tasty and the texture is pretty good, too. I really like them and so does The Captain, but I only make them when I
These early strawberries were so tasty... with kiwi and banana! Is there a better fruit combo? Since fruit is about the only sweet thing I eat these days, I have come to really enjoy it so much more and find that vanilla and cinnamon really enhance it.
Vanilla and Cinnamon Coconut Pancakes
Makes 4 pancakes
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tbs water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Add the coconut flour, water, vanilla and cinnamon, and mix well.
- Lightly coat a skillet with non-stick spray and set over MEDIUM heat.
- Use a 1/4 cup measure to spoon the batter into the pan. Allow to cook 4 to 5 minutes till the edge dries a bit. It will not bubble like a regular pancake.
- Flip over and cook the second side for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Remove to a plate to keep warm while you cook the rest of the cakes.
- Serve with fresh fruit and a bit of syrup if you like.
Per serving of 2 pancakes, without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 209; Protein 14g; Carbohydrate 11g; Fat 12g; Fibre 6g.
Each cake will be about 4 inches in diameter.
Served with fresh fruit
The Captain had a bit of syrup on his, too.
Are you a coconut flour fan?
What is your favorite combination of fruits?