Sunday, May 26, 2013

Silky Smooth Curried Coconut Sweet Potato Soup

Several months ago I pinned a recipe for a soup that I thought looked very good.  And I had another look at it when I had a craving for a sweet potato and coconut dish a few days ago.  It is a good looking soup, very thick and you may want to check it out.

This soup of mine was definitely inspired by that one so I wanted to be sure to give it credit,  but I do prefer to use my own tried and true vegetable soup method, and I changed up the spices a bit, too.

I used a full fat version of canned coconut milk in this soup and it feels like silk in your mouth.  The texture is really fabulous.  I know it would be good with a light coconut milk, too, and of course the calorie count would be lower… and for my Weight Watchers friends, the P+ values would certainly be less as well.

Your choice, of course. 

Any leftovers can be frozen or just kept in the fridge for use within a couple of days.

Here is how I made it.


Curried Coconut Sweet Potato Soup


Curried Coconut Sweet Potato Soup
Makes 5 one-cup servings
  • 1 Tbs coconut oil
  • 16 oz sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
  • 4 oz white onion, peeled and chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  1. Place the coconut oil in a large soup pot over MEDIUM heat.
  2. Saute the onions and garlic until translucent, being careful not to let them brown.
  3. Add the sweet potato chunks and saute about 5 minutes.
  4. Add the spices and stir to coat the veggies.
  5. Add the water, bring to a boil and then cover the pot, and reduce the heat to LOW and let the mixture simmer for about half an hour.
  6. Remove the pot from the heat and using your immersion blender, puree the veggies and combine with the broth. You don’t want any lumps left.
  7. Add the coconut milk to the mixture and stir or blend well.
  8. Place soup in serving bowls, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.


Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 159; Protein 6g; Carbohydrate 25g; Fat 6g; Fibre 3g.

May 21 soup 001
Make sure your heat setting is not too high so that your garlice and onions do not brown when cooking.

May 21 soup 002
Chop the sweet potato into 1/2 inch chunks so that it cook fairly quickly.

May 21 soup 003
Still steaming when I opened the lid and started to puree.

May 21 soup 004
That’s better!  Don’t want to melt the blender!

May 21 soup 005
Almost done. You can see it it still a bit lumpy.

May 21 soup 006
And ready to enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, this looks amazing.
    I'm pinning/sharing now. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna make this one (and add some extra turmeric ;) )
    Thanks! Off to pin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum, I'll have to try this. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds delicious! I love all things sweet potato. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.