This soup of mine was definitely inspired by that one so I wanted to be sure to give it credit, but I do prefer to use my own tried and true vegetable soup method, and I changed up the spices a bit, too.
I used a full fat version of canned coconut milk in this soup and it feels like silk in your mouth. The texture is really fabulous. I know it would be good with a light coconut milk, too, and of course the calorie count would be lower… and for my Weight Watchers friends, the P+ values would certainly be less as well.
Your choice, of course.
Any leftovers can be frozen or just kept in the fridge for use within a couple of days.
Here is how I made it.
Makes 5 one-cup servings
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 16 oz sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 4 oz white onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Place the coconut oil in a large soup pot over MEDIUM heat.
- Saute the onions and garlic until translucent, being careful not to let them brown.
- Add the sweet potato chunks and saute about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and stir to coat the veggies.
- Add the water, bring to a boil and then cover the pot, and reduce the heat to LOW and let the mixture simmer for about half an hour.
- Remove the pot from the heat and using your immersion blender, puree the veggies and combine with the broth. You don’t want any lumps left.
- Add the coconut milk to the mixture and stir or blend well.
- Place soup in serving bowls, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 159; Protein 6g; Carbohydrate 25g; Fat 6g; Fibre 3g.
Make sure your heat setting is not too high so that your garlice and onions do not brown when cooking.
Chop the sweet potato into 1/2 inch chunks so that it cook fairly quickly.
Still steaming when I opened the lid and started to puree.
That’s better! Don’t want to melt the blender!
Almost done. You can see it it still a bit lumpy.
And ready to enjoy!