I just know it would make a lovely dinner, too.
Last week my local produce market had Portobello mushrooms on sale… I picked up a package and then set it back down. I couldn’t really think of anything special to do with them so didn’t bother to buy them.
Then my friend Kate sent me these pictures of some Portobellos she recently cooked. You can bet I will be going back to get some now!
Special thanks to Kate for allowing me to share her pictures and this idea here.
Makes 2 servings
- 2 Portobello Mushrooms
- Salsa, about 1/4 cup
- 2 eggs
- Bit of coconut oil
- Salt, pepper, granulated garlic powder
- Scoop the gills out from the underside.
- Lightly brush the tops with liquid coconut oil, then season them with salt and pepper, and some granulated garlic.
- Place them top down on a grill pan, fill the underside with salsa, and then crack an egg on top.
- Bake them in the oven at 400° F for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on how solid you like the yolk of your eggs.
Make sure to leave some room in the caps for the eggs when you put the salsa in the caps.
Bake or BBQ till eggs are cooked and the mushroom caps are heated through.
Thanks so very much,Kate. I can hardly wait to try this out for myself.
Are you a mushroom fan? Portobellos?