Sunday, June 23, 2013

More Grain Free Low-Carb Coconut Pancakes

I love coconut flour pancakes.  Have you tried them yet?

I am so happy to have found coconut flour use instead of wheat flour in various 'batter' recipes.

I made a slight tweak to my usual coconut pancake recipe,  and substituted 1/4 cup of egg whites for the 4th egg in this batch.  It lowers the fat content and raises the protein content slightly, and has the same great taste and texture of my originals.

If you haven't worked with coconut flour before, do flex your patience muscle.  It can very in moisture content from batch to batch... and you may need to add a bit more water to the recipe to get a nice consistency to your batter... but do start with a singe tablespoon and then add more after you mix it all very well, but only if you really need to!

June 19 coconut pancakes and b&e muffins 001


Vanilla and Cinnamon Coconut Pancakes
Makes 4 pancakes
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup egg whites 
  • 1 Tbs water
  • 1 Tbs vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  1. Beat eggs and egg white together in a large bowl.
  2. Add the coconut flour, water, vanilla and cinnamon, and mix well.
  3. Lightly coat a skillet with non-stick spray and set over MEDIUM heat.
  4. Use a 1/4 cup measure to spoon the batter into the pan.  Allow to cook 4 to 5 minutes till the edge dries a bit. It will not bubble like a regular pancake. 
  5. Flip over and cook the second side for 3 or 4 minutes.
  6. Remove to a plate to keep warm while you cook the rest of the cakes.
  7. Serve with fresh fruit and a bit of syrup if you like.
Per serving of 2 pancakes without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 187; Protein 15 g; Carbohydrate 11g; Fat 9g; Fibre 6g

I love to have pancakes for breakfast occasionally and these are a great way to get them in without succumbing to grains!

Have you used coconut flour before?  Any tips to share?

5 comments:

  1. These looks delicious Elle! I need to try making coconut pancakes again. My first try didn't turn out so well.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coconut flour pancakes! That silkiness coconut flour gives food is addicting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do these taste SUPER coconuty?! Or is there a coconut flour that is milder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would leave out the cinnamon, but these sound and look SO delicious! I have never looked for coconut flour around here, but now I will have to. Maybe at the whole foods (all natural) store? Thanks, Elle!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.