Sunday, September 29, 2013

Spicy Asian Chicken Breast on Salad Greens

The first time I put this meal together was a couple of weeks ago, and it was designed to meet several needs.

You see, my sister and her husband were on their way to visit with us for a few days.. from Calgary.  It’s a comfortable 2-day drive from there to Vancouver Island, but they weren’t sure where they would spend that first night along the way, and they had no idea what time they they would board a ferry from the mainland.  They run every couple of hours this time of year.

I wanted to make sure that I fed them a nice dinner that first night with us, but there was no way to know just when they would arrive – nope, they don’t use their cell phone!  So, I wanted to have something to put together quickly, at whatever time they might appear.

My sister is following a very high protein, very low carb food plan, and I know that she eats a lot of chicken breasts.  My brother in law is not a fan of plain baked chicken breast at all.  I am eating mostly Paleo these days, and The Captain… well he will eat pretty much whatever I put in front of him, other than cauliflower or obvious broccoli!

So, I opted to make salads with slices of baked chicken breasts… but not plain chicken breasts as I might use if I was making Caesar salad.  No, these chicken breasts had been marinating all day in the refrigerator, in a lovely mixture of Asian inspired ingredients. I wanted something with lots of flavor that would be nice and tender and moist.

I baked them in the oven and just as I was taking them out, the buzzer sounded and our guests arrived!  It was perfect timing, because we had time to visit and enjoy a drink (club soda with fresh lime juice for the ladies) while the chicken breasts cooled enough for  me to slice them and assemble the salads for our dinner.

They were a bit hit!  Either that, or my guests were tired and very hungry, I am not sure which really.  But The Captain loved the meal and asked for it again this past Saturday… so I decided to make note of the ingredients I put together in the marinade and write this blog post.

Spicy Asian Chicken Breast on Salad Greens

Spicy Asian Chicken Breast on Salad Greens
Makes 4 servings
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 3 Tbs Mirin or sushi seasoning
  • 2 Tbs white or rice vinegar
  • 1 packet Splenda or Stevia (use sugar, honey, or even omit)
  • 2 Tbs soy sauce, tamari soy sauce, or coconut aminos
  • 2 tsp dark sesame oil
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 2 or 3 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
  • 1 tsp ginger root, grated fine
  • salad greens of your choice, enough for 4 plates
  1. Mix the onions, Mirin, vinegar, sweetener, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, garlic and ginger in a small bowl and then place in a container large enough to hold the 4 chicken breasts. 
  2. Allow chicken to marinate at least 2 hours – you could leave overnight – in the refrigerator.
  3. Discard marinade and then bake chicken in a 375° F oven for approximately 45 minutes or until done.  Test with meat thermometer in the thickest part of the breast.
  4. Allow to cool about 15 minutes before cutting crosswise on an angle into slices approximately 1/2 inch thick.
  5. In the meantime, place salad greens on 4 serving plates.
  6. Arrange chicken slices on salad greens and serve.
Per serving, including salad greens.
Weight Watchers P+ = 8.
Calories 329; Protein 45g; Carbohydrates 6g; Fat 13g; Fibre 2g.

The exact N.I. is going to depend on the size of your chicken breasts and the ingredients you choose, of course.  These chicken breasts were fairly large, about 5 ounces each after baking.  And I have counted all of the marinade ingredients, not taking into account that most of it is actually discarded.  For greens, I used Romaine lettuce, cucumber and some broccoli/cauliflower/carrot slaw. Shhhh, don’t tell The Captain!

I did make up a dressing to have just in case the chicken breasts came out too dry, but didn’t need it at all. In case you think you might like to have some, it was a mixture of:
  • 2 Tbs soy sauce
  • 2 Tbs rice vinegar
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled, smashed and minced
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ginger root, grated
If my guests had not arrived when they did I would have refrigerated the baked chicken breasts and then sliced them quite thin before adding to the salads.

It would make a really nice lunch or picnic box addition, too, I am sure.

Sept 29 Marianated Chicken Breast 001
Plated greens…

Sept 29 Marianated Chicken Breast 003
Topped with baked chicken breasts.



How do you acomodate different food/nutrition needs when people come to visit?

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm!!! Looks fantastic :) But then again, all of your food does!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.