Sunday, October 06, 2013

Pumpkin Protein Paleo Cookies

One day this past week, The Captain announced that one of our local markets was selling canned pumpkin puree for 87 cents per can and that he was planning to pick some up for me the next morning while I was at work.

I was sure they wouldn’t have any left by the time he got there, but when he arrived to drive me home after my noontime Weight Watchers meeting, he quite proudly gave me the news that he had bought 2 cases…. 24 cans of pure pumpkin puree! 

So what am I going to do with it all?  Well, there will be pumpkin pancakes, and pumpkin souffles, pumpkin smoothies, and of course I had to come up with some pumpkin cookies!

These are not your ordinary sweet, dessert cookies, though.  These are cookies that I am going to keep in the freezer and have them pre-workout in the morning. I like to have a little nibble of something nutritious before I do my strength workout in the morning and this will fill that bill quite nicely… but they also do taste great! 

They are not too sweet but if you want a treat, they are certainly that as well.  I have been experimenting for months now with almond flour cookies, and these are pretty good.

I used liquid vanilla Stevia as my sweetener. If you use plain Stevia, or a powdered sweetener such as Splenda, add a spoonful of vanilla extract, too.  And you can use any kind of nuts you like.  I thought pecans would taste good with the pumpkin and they sure do!

Pumpkin Protein Paleo Cookies

Pumpkin Protein Paleo Cookies
Makes 35 cookies
  • 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin pure pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 dropper liquid vanilla Stevia
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 cups almond flour
  • 4 level scoops vanilla protein powder
  • 1 Tbs coconut flour
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 2 dashes allspice
  1. Preheat your oven to 350° F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, protein powder, coconut flour and spices.
  4. Mix in the raisins and pecans.
  5. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin, and Stevia.  Then add the mixture to the dry ingredients.
  6. Combine well.
  7. Using a 1Tbs measure, scoop the batter into mounds on the parchment paper and bake for 14 minutes.
  8. Remove the cookies from the sheet and leave on a cooling rack for several minutes to let them set.  They will be quite soft till they cool a bit.
  9. Repeat #7 and #8 with the remaining batter.

Per serving of 1 cookie.
Weight Watchers P+ = 2.
Calories 85; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 6g; Fat 5g; Fibre 2g.


Oct 5 cookies 001
You don’t need to leave much room between the mounds as they don’t spread much when baking.


What do you like to eat before you work out?

5 comments:

  1. I love all the pumpkin recipes! This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound really, really amazing! And I happen to have lots of pumpkin on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!! I only eat before long runs...otherwise I can't stomach much before a workout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see all of my favorite ingredients in that list, yum!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.