Saturday, October 26, 2013

My New Flax-Coconut Pancake… you’ll see why

The main thing on my shopping list when we visited the Trader Joe’s in Silverdale, WA earlier this week, was pumpkin butter.  I love this stuff and I happen to think that TJ’s is the very best.  Each 1 tablespoon serving is only 40 calories, and it’s all carbs… no fat, no protein… but does have lots of Vitamin A. 


Oct 26 Pumpkin butter and pancakes 001

It’s not health food, folks.  But it is truly delicious!  And for you fellow Weight Watchers, it is only 1 P+ per serving.  Yes, I have made pumpkin butter and sweet potato butter myself… and it is really easy to do and it is very good.  But when I finally get an opportunity to get across the border and find a TJ’s, especially in the Fall, I do stock up!

In honor of opening the first jar this morning, after our run, I made up a new grain-free pancake!  I wanted to have something tasty to spread that lovely, spicy pumpkin butter over… I thought it would be a little more elegant than just eating it out of the jar with a spoon, or my fingers!

Flax-Coconut Pancake

Flax-Coconut Pancake
Makes 1 serving
  • 1 Tbs ground flax seeds
  • 1 Tbs coconut flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • splash of vanilla
  • dash of cinnamon
  1. Mix all the ingredients till well blended and then pour into prepared skillet over MEDIUM heat.
  2. Cook till the mixture bubbles, about 5 minutes.
  3. Then flip and cook second side about 2 or 3 minutes.
  4. Remove to serving plate and garnish with your favorite toppings.
Per serving, without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 185; Protein 15g; Carbohydrate 8g; Fat 9g; Fibre 5g.

If you want something a little lower in fat, just replace the whole egg with 1/4 cup of egg whites.  And of course you can double the ingredients... and make two cakes instead of just one!


Oct 26 Pumpkin butter and pancakes 004


Are you a pumpkin butter or sweet potato butter fan?  Have you ever made it?

If you haven't, but would like to, check out my recipe… it is so easy!  

1 comment:

  1. I have never had either of these types of butters before! Unfortunately as of the moment I cannot eat either due to the sugar, but maybe one day I will be able to concoct one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.