The Captain has gotten into the habit of buying huge heads of fresh cauliflower whenever he finds them in our local markets, so I am now trying to come up with different ways to use them up! And because he thinks he doesn’t even like cauliflower himself, I am trying to find ways for him to enjoy it too.
This soup really fills the bill.
Use a veggie broth if you want a vegan option... I like to use homemade turkey broth in mine.
Cauliflower Coconut Soup
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 6 ounces chopped white onion
- 1 large head fresh cauliflower
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 can (200 ml) coconut milk
- Cut the stem and leaves off the head of cauliflower and then break into florets. Wash and set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large soup pot over MEDIUM heat and then add the onions and garlic.
- Saute about 10 minutes until the onions become translucent, stirring occasionally so they do not brown.
- Add the cauliflower and chicken stock. Simmer for 45 minutes or until cauliflower is cooked through and soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in the coconut milk.
- Puree with immersion blender or in batches in regular blender, and add a bit of salt to taste.
- Serve plain or season to your liking.
The first bowl I ate quite plain, with a bit of fresh cilantro and salt and pepper.
I added some crumbled bacon and freshly ground pepper to the second bowl.
I ate the third bowl with a few dashes of curry powder mixed in.
And the fourth bowl, I sprinkled with nutmeg and cloves… a bit of a holiday feel.
And I should add, that it also freezes quite nicely... doesn't change the texture at all.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 128 ; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 15g; Fat 6g; Fibre 5g.