Sunday, March 09, 2014

Power-loaded Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

For years now I have gone back and forth between whey and soy protein powders…. until I recently added North Coast Naturals Organic Hemp Protein Powder into the rotation.  Now I have 3 distinctly different kinds of protein powders in my cupboard. And I love and use them all.

I often select a soy protein powder when I am making something with a heavier, thicker batter, such as pancakes, or microwave mug cakes, or even cookies… when I want protein powder with a neutral flavor, and especially a neutral color.  I don’t normally use a soy powder in smoothies or frozen protein pops because I often find that I can taste the soy in these more delicately flavored items.

This North Coast Naturals Organic Soya Protein is high in fibre and a good source of Omega 3.  I like the N.I. Per 2 Tbs of powder: Calories 110; Protein g 10g, Carbohydrate 7g; Fat 4.8g; Fibre 5 g.  For you Weight Watchers, that works out to 3P+ per serving.

I put this NCN Organic Soya Protein to the test by blending it with some almond milk, a bit of cinnamon,  and a banana, and shared it with The Captain one morning recently, before we did our workout.  We both thought it was delicious!  And neither of us noticed any soy taste at all… only banana and cinnamon.  So this NCN powder truly is unflavored. This, to me, is a good thing.


Soy-Banana Smoothie
Our Soy-Banana Smoothies

Since then I have made some wonderful protein-filled pancakes with it, too.  I always have lots of canned pumpkin on hand in the pantry, to fall back on, on days I don’t have cooked, leftover squash or sweet potato in the fridge.   I was craving pumpkin the other morning and came up with these pancakes, to enjoy after a morning workout. 

If you like, use pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon, or add dashes of  allspice and cloves along with the cinnamon.  And if you prefer a puffier cake, add about 1/2 tsp of baking powder, too.


Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
Makes 1 serving
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup egg white
  • 2 Tbs NCN Organic Soya Protein
  • 1 Tbs almond milk
  • 1 tsp cinnamon and more for garnish
  1. Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl.
  2. Spoon half of the batter into a non-stick pan that has been warmed over MEDIUM-HIGH heat and cook about 3 minutes till bubbles appear.
  3. Flip and cook the second side 2 minutes and then remove to a serving plate and keep warm.
  4. Cook the second cake in the same manner.
  5. Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve warm.
Per serving, without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 110; Protein g 17g, Carbohydrate 13g; Fat 5g; Fibre 7g.

Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
I enjoyed my breakfast with the daffodils that The Captain picked for me that morning!



Do you use protein powders in place of grains in your pancakes, too?

Are you like me and eat pumpkin all year round? 


3 comments:

  1. I thought I was ready for Spring, but these look DELICIOUS and remind me of fall! Thanks for sharing. And, I haven't been by since you changed your cover photo :( - I LOVE IT! Mom's absolute favorite things to eat were strawberries so this bring a fond memory to mind and a big smile to my face. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin has become a year-round staple -- so many great recipes for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi this one is great and is really a good post. I think it will help me a lot in the related stuff and is very much useful for me. Very well written I appreciate & must say good job..
    organic pumpkin protein powder

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.