My very favorite way to enjoy it, is to clean and cook it, and just sit and pick the meat out of the legs and shoulders. But, every once in a while, it is nice to do something different with the meat.
If you don't have access to fresh crab, canned will work very nicely in this recipe. Just make sure you drain it well before adding it to the other ingredients. It does tend to be wetter than the fresh.
I used a slice of BodyWise whole wheat bread for the crumbs, and you can use any low calorie bread, or even half a slice of regular bread. For the oil, I use a blend of canola and olive oils, but use whatever you have on hand that will withstand the heat needed for cooking.
I made up these patties for dinner and we enjoyed them on fresh rolls, with coleslaw alongside. Wonderful!
Makes 2 servings
- 4 ounces lump crab meat, cooked
- 1 green onion
- 1 Tbs egg white
- 1 Tbs fat free Miracle Whip or other mayonnaise
- 1 slice low-calorie bread, crumbled
- Dashes of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp vegetable oil for cooking
- Mix the crab meat with the onion, egg white, mayo, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper.
- Pour the oil into a non-stick skillet and set over medium-high heat. Spread the oil around a bit to coat the pan.
- Form 2 patties with the crab mixture and place in skillet.
- Cook approximately 5 minutes per side, until golden and heated through.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 113; Protein 13g; Carbohydrate 6g; Fat 3g, Fibre 1g.
Cooked, drained, and ready to pick! Mmmm...
Cook about 5 minutes, then flip and cook the other side.
Serve on a whole grain roll with salad for a complete meal.