It is made with instant rice and at various times I have tried to substitute a 10-minute rice and also a regular par-boiled rice. Neither were successful. So, I gave up making this as I decided that instant rice was just not worthy... cannot for the life of me recall why now.
I recently resurrected it and cooked it for dinner. We thoroughly enjoyed it, saving half for leftovers to be reheated in the mike the next evening. Delicious.
If you like, you can use 1-3/4 cups of chicken broth instead of the water and chicken-flavored bullion cube I use, and you can certainly use cooked chicken breast instead of the convenient Kirkland canned chunk chicken that I love. Use more or less onion and bell pepper, as your own tastes dictate. I have tried green pepper and don't care for it in this dish, but orange or yellow would be fine. And don't forget that instant rice now comes in a whole grain variety if you prefer that.
Don't leave out the lemon slices though... they really add a punch of tart flavor and it is wonderful!
Lemon Chicken and Rice with Artichokes
Makes 4 servings, approximately 2 cups each
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced vertically
- 1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups instant (5-minute) rice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 chicken-flavored bullion cube
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 can Kirkland chunk chicken breast, drained (or 8 ounces chicken breast, cooked and cut into 1 inch chunks)
- 4 - 6 slices fresh lemon
- Dashes of salt and pepper
- 4 Tbs shredded parmesan cheese
- Coat a large frypan with non-stick spray and set over medium heat.
- Put onion slices and chopped red bell pepper into pan. Saute till softened about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, lemon juice, water and bullion cube. Stir and cover. Cook approximately 10 minutes till rice absorbs all liquid and is cooked through.
- Remove lid and stir in artichoke hearts, cooked chicken chunks and lemon slices. Stir and replace lid. Cook about 4 minutes more till artichokes and chicken are heated.
- Remove from heat and divide amongst 4 plates.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with 1 Tbs parmesan shreds.
Weight Watchers P+ = 7.
Calories 284; Protein 20g; Carbohydrate 48g; Fat 3g; Fibre 6g.
UPDATE December 5, 2016:
I have recalculated this recipe to use the current Weight Watchers Smart Points formula.
Weight Watchers SP = 8.
Saturated Fat 1g
Saute onions and peppers for a few minutes till soft.
Add rice, lemon juice, water, bullion cube and cover.
Stir in artichokes, chicken and lemon slices. Replace lid.
Season and garnish with parmesan shreds before serving.