Monday, October 17, 2011

Crazy For Coconut Oil!

There is a new staple in my pantry.... it is coconut oil.

I have been reading about it for several months now.... about how tasty it is, and how easy it is to use.  And I have seen a lot of blog posts and articles about the health benefits and how it enhances weight loss. 

Well, I am a convert.

I received a 32 oz jar of Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil a couple of weeks ago.  And I have been using it in a variety of ways ever since.

Upon first opening the jar, I was surprised to see that the oil was solid... coconut 'butter' in effect.  I read the label and found that the oil solidifies at temperatures below 76°F... approximately 24°C.  To reliquify it, it needs to be gently heated. 

 

It does have a buttery texture and it feels silky and creamy to the touch.  It tastes mildly of coconut and it smells wonderful.  I was intrigued.  And very pleased that it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

I looked at the free recipes on the Tropical Traditions site and found that this oil is used in all kinds of ways... in candy, baked goods, soups, entrees and even smoothies.  It seems that it may be used in place of canola or other vegetable oils in many, many applications.

I did find several recipes that I want to try... but I thought I would come up with something of my own, to test the oil, for the first time.

The weather this past week was gloomy and rainy, so we have been craving comfort food.  I cooked up some oats for our breakfast one morning, using both the Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil and the Tropical Traditions Organic Raw Canadian Honey (that I was lucky enough to win on a giveaway hosted by A Healthy Passion) along with some of our favorite ingredients, and came up with a couple of bowls full of luscious, creamy oats.  They not only taste delicious, but the aroma while they cooked was wonderful!


Creamy Fall Oats
Makes 2 servings
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1-2/3 cup water
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 Tbs coconut oil
  • 1 Tbs honey
  • 1 apple
  • Dash of cinnamon
  1. Mix the oats and water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cover.
  2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook oats for 5 or 6 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat and let sit for another 3 or 4 minutes.
  4. Remove lid and stir in pumpkin, coconut oil, and honey.
  5. Spoon oats into serving bowls.
  6. Cut apple into small chunks and divide between 2 bowls of oats and then sprinkle each with cinnamon.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 7.
Calories 256; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 42g; Fat 9g; Fibre 7g.

Stir pumpkin puree, coconut oil, and honey into cooked oats.

  
Place apple chunks on top of oats and sprinkle with cinnamon.

  
Mix it all up and enjoy!


The Captain kept raving about how good these oats tasted and how creamy they were.  I finally had to give in and tell him about adding the spoonful of coconut oil to them.  And we were both very pleasantly surprised that we were satisfied till lunch time... quite often if we have oats for breakfast, we are looking for a snack mid-morning.

Then I decided to try subbing the coconut oil for canola oil in my Johnny Cake recipe.  Quite often I don't bother with oil at all, but had a hunch that adding coconut oil to the mix would improve the texture.  And I was not disappointed!

Right out of the oven, golden in color and firm to the touch.

  
1 serving removed, the texture is lovely - not too crumby.



Topped with an egg and some crumbled bacon... and yes, I used a bit of coconut oil to fry the eggs as well.

I decided to try making something sweet.  I came up with a recipe for 'bark' that both really like... I used coconut oil and cocoa powder with a bit of sugar, instead of bakers chocolate.... and I also added slivered almonds and raisins.

I made just a small amount so that we wouldn't have too much of this delcious treat around, tempting us, but you can easily double these ingredients.



Chocolate Bark With Almonds and Raisins
Makes 6 servings.
  • 2 Tbs coconut oil
  • 2 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbs slivered almonds
  • 2 Tbs raisins
  • 1 tsp sugar
  1. Prepare a metal cake pan by lining it with foil or waxed paper, and then cooling it in the fridge or freezer for 10 or 15 minutes.
  2. Gently liquefy the coconut oil over low heat, then stir in cocoa powder and sugar.
  3. Add the almonds and raising and stir.
  4. Pour mixture into chilled pan and spread to an even thickness.
  5. Place it in refrigerator and let chill for 15 to 20 minutes. 
  6. When hardened, peel it from the foil or paper, and snap into 6 piceces.
  7. It will soften at room temperature so store in fridge. 
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 2.
Calories 49; Protein 1g; Carbohydrate 4g; Fat 5g; Fibre 0g.


    Gently liquefy coconut oil and blend with cocoa powder and sugar.


    Mix in raisins and almonds before pouring into cold pan to harden.



So, what does the N.I. for the coconut oil look like?  It is very simillar to other oils.

Per 1 tsp serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 1.
Calories 39; Protein 0g; Carbohydrate 0g; Fat 5g; Fibre 0g.

A new and permanent staple in my pantry and I urge you to give it a try, if you haven't already!

If you are interested in learning more about Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil, have a look at this video entitled: “How We Discovered Virgin Coconut Oil - An Interview with Brian Shilhavy, CEO Tropical Traditions”

Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose.  Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review in return for the free product.

1 comment:

  1. Elle this blog is dangerous! Whenever I visit I want to go cook something to feed myself because it all looks and sounds so GOOD! Craving fried eggs now ;0

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.