Friday, October 14, 2011

Can't Do Without Canned Fish!

In light of the positive health benefits associated with fish, I am always looking for creative and tasty ways to use it in our meals.

The American Heart Association recommends eating fish at least twice a week because it's a good source of protein and low in saturated fat. Fatty fish including trout, sardines, tuna, and salmon are also high in omega-3 fatty acids, which may reduce the risk of heart disease. Salmon is high in calcium, too, especially when the bones are mashed into the meat.

Sometimes it is not convenient to have fresh or frozen fish on hand.  Particularly when we are cruising and relying mainly on our food lockers to supply the ingredients for our meals.  I like to keep an assortment of canned fish on hand.  And lately I have been purchasing it in foil pouches, too.  These items are readily available for tasty and nutritious meals.  My favorites are tuna, salmon and sardines... and occasionally I will buy baby clams, mussels, smokey oysters, crab and smoked herring.

You can make a nice layered dip for crackers with a can of baby clams, some chili sauce and a container of whipped light cream cheese.  Just put the cheese in a bowl and spread it a bit, then cover with chili sauce and the drained clams.  Very tasty.

Smoked oysters and mussels make nice canapes if you put them on crackers with a bit of ketchup or seafood sauce.  And who can resist a hot crab dip made with artichoke hearts, mayonnaise and parmesan cheese.... Mmm.

Tuna can be found in tins and also in foil pouches. It comes packed in water, oil or in many flavourful sauces, and in a choice of styles… fillets, chunks, flakes. And there are different kinds of tuna as well. My favorite is the white albacore, but it is more expensive. Chunk light tuna packed in water is the one I normally buy for every day use.  I have also had smoked tuna in cans and it is delicious.



Tuna, 1/2 cup or 4 oz., canned in water.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.

Salmon is usually found in many different sizes of cans, also water or oil packed, There are different kinds of salmon and the can will be labelled with the species name. I prefer sockeye or pink. I have also been lucky enough to have home-canned salmon and it is lovely, too.  Smoked salmon is a lovely treat mixed with cream cheese and used as a dip or spread.




Salmon, 1/2 cup or 4 oz. canned in water.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.

Sardines come in flat tins that have a pull tab opening on the top. They are packed in water, oil, and many different sauces. I like the mustard sauce best.  Sardines packed in Spring water is my second choice.




Sardines, 1 tin (approx 3.5 oz), canned in water.
Weight Watchers P+ = 2.

You can used the drained tuna or salmon in green salads, for a quick meal. Or mix tuna, salmon, or sardines with some mayonnaise or yogurt, and a few chopped veggies, some capers or relish, and you have a tasty sandwich filling.

But there are so many other ways to use these tasty fishes. Here are a few recipes I have featured :




















1 comment:

  1. I use canned tuna a lot but you have inspired me to try canned Salmon! I love it normally and could use it in a lot more! Happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.