Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Buttercup Squash and Spinach Salad

At this time of year there are so many wonderful and different varieties of winter squashes at the local markets, sometimes I have trouble deciding which ones to bring home!

I do have my favorites... butternut, ambercup, red kuri, delicata, spaghetti... but it is fun to try out new ones and create recipes with them.

Today I was wanting to make something for my dinner with a smallish buttercup squash that I brought home a few days ago.  Buttercup squash, also known as kobacha, is similar in color and flavor to butternut squash.  I happen to love it!

If I had had more time, I would have roasted the squash in the oven.  I think that is the nicest way to enhance the earthy flavor of the winter squashes... but, because I was a bit pressed for time, I decided to cook it in the microwave oven.  Then I left it to cool before cutting it up and tossing it with my other salad ingredients.

It was delicious!  Next time I might add a handful of dried cranberries or a chopped apple to the mix for a bit of sweetness.



Buttercup Squash and Spinach Salad
Makes 1 serving
  • 1 medium-small buttercup squash
  • 2 cups baby spinach leaves
  • 1 Tbs slivered almonds
  • 1 wedge Laughing Cow cheese 
Dressing:
  • 1 tsp EVOO
  • 2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
  • 1 packet Splenda
  • dash of cinnamon
  1. Wash and dry the squash.  Cut it in half and scoop out the seeds and soft flesh from the cavity.
  2. Place on microwave safe plate, cut sides down and cook on HIGH for 7 or 8 minutes, till flesh is cooked and soft.
  3. Set aside to cool.
  4. When cool, scoop the cooked flesh from the shell and cut into square chunks.
  5. Tear or cut spinach leaves and place in serving bowl along with squash chunks and almonds.
  6. Cut cheese wedge into several pieces and add to bowl.
  7. Toss all ingredients well and set aside.
  8. Mix dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and pour over salad in bowl.
  9. Toss and serve.
Per serving with dressing.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 193; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 21g; Fat 11g; Fibre 5g.

Washed, cut, seeds scooped out, and ready to pop into the mike for 8 minutes.


1 comment:

Thanks for leaving me a comment.