Last Fall I discovered an oblong-shaped yellow and green winter squash called Delicata. I really enjoyed the flavor, and I particularly like the color of the flesh. It is a bright orange and a beautiful conrast to the creamy yellow and green shell.
A couple of days ago I was really pleased to find one at my local market, but also surprised to see a sticker on it that called it a Sweet Potato Squash. So, I checked it out, thanks to Google, and found that they are, indeed, the same thing. Hurray!
I decided to make what I call Squash Boats for our lunch. The Delicata squash is a mild-flavored winter squash so makes an easy accompaniment to other veggies, and to a variety of grains and cheeses.
As you eat the filling, you eat the squash 'boat', too, and what you are left with is the empty squash shell. No mess, no fuss.
For a lunch or dinner, if this is the main course, I like to use vegetables, grains, and a bit of cheese in this dish. If it is to be a side dish, I would leave out the grains and just use veggies and some cheese. Couscous works nicely and so does crumbled feta cheese. There are lots of ways to make these up so have some fun and use what is in your own fridge!
Today I did them like this. Quick, easy, delicious, nutritious, and pretty!
Makes 2 servings
- 1 average size Delicata (Sweet Potato) Squash
- 1 tomato, cored and cut into pieces
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 1/4-inch ring from large green onion, diced
- 1 tsp cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 Tbs lite parmesan shreds
- Wash the squash, then cut it in half, from end to end. Remove the seeds and soft flesh from each half with a spoon, and discard.
- Place the cleaned halves, cut side down, on a micrwave plate and cook till soft. Depending on your mike, this may take 6 to 10 minutes on HIGH. Today I cooked this squash for 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, coat a frypan with non-stick spray and place it on medium heat. Add the tomato, onion, and green pepper and cook till softened, about 4 minutes. Then add the cooked rice and heat through, about 2 more minutes.
- Plate the cooked squash, and place half of the cooked vegetable mixture into each piece of squash.
- Sprinkle the veggies with bacon bits and parmesan shreds.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 152g; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 28g; Fat 3g; Fibre 3g.
Raw Delicata Squash - about 9 inches long.
After cutting in half from end to end.
Removing the seeds and inner soft flesh.
Both halves, cleaned and ready to cook.
Place the halves, cut side down on a microwave plate and put in mike to cook.
In the meantime, cook the veggies and heat the rice in a frying pan.
Remove the cooked squash from the microwave and let cool for a couple of minutes.
Fill the squash cavities with the vegetable-rice mixture and then top with crumbled bacon and parmesan shreds.