Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Love This Sweet Squash Scramble

The other day I came across this idea at Carrots 'n' Cake.  And I have to admit, I was pretty skeptical about it... but I did have some ambercup squash left over from dinner the night before, and decided to give it a try... but not for breakfast... for lunch.

It was delicious!  And you really have got to try it.

I think it would be really good with sweet potatoes or any other kind of orange squash too... I am going to cook some butternut squash, just to have leftovers to make this again.

Tina calls it Sweet Breakfast Scramble... but honestly, you could enjoy it any time of the day, not just at breakfast.  I had it for lunch and would make it for a recovery snack after a hard workout or long run, too.

With some almond butter on top...
 

and a bit of vanilla yogurt too.
 
 
The real trick to it, I think, is to make sure you are patient enough while cooking it, to keep stirring the mixture in the pan and get the egg cooked all the way through... it does change color a bit and the texture changes, too, as it cooks so there is a visual clue.
 
In the skillet, not yet cooked.
 
 
Any nut butter would be a great topping along with some cinnamon...


and your favorite yogurt, too, if you like.
 
The possibilities for variations are really endless... you might try pumpkin with all the appropriate spices such as ginger, cinnamon, nutmet and cloves...
 
 

and I did try it with banana too.
 
The N.I. as I made this, with ambercup squash, is as follows:
 
Per serving, without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 149; Protein 14g; Carbohydrate 12g; Fat 5g; Fibre 2g.
 
You can easily afford a few more P+ for adds ons!
 
Check out the original post on Carrots 'n' Cake for the recipe and instructions... and leave Tina a comment telling her I sent you! 
 
Have you tried anything like this?



4 comments:

  1. OH!!
    never.
    I rarely rarely RARELY SQUASH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started eating sweet potato w/ almond butter. Squash would be just as delicious I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mashed up leftover roasted butternut squash yesterday and used it in place of the banana in your banana protien cake. It was yummy, so I can see this recipe being equally tasty!

    My dad used to fry up mashed turnip with eggs when I was young. And I think I might try it with some roasted beets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me I think I should go out and buy some squash!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.