But I decided to share it with my own readers, too. It is a really easy and quick recipe to put together, and for more and more of my friends who are giving up grains, it is a nice way to get some pancakes on the breakfast table.
You know I absolutely love pancakes but I am not a fan of the flour that most recipes contain...even whole wheat, or rather, ESPECIALLY whole wheat now that I am in the throes of my wheat-free experiment. So I decided to make up a batch with some whey based protein powder recently and am really happy with the results.
At the last minute I added a bit of baking powder and it really did make the cakes more fluffy, like a flour-based cake. Use it or not, it is up to you.
If you like, use fat free milk and add a dash of vanilla instead of using the Almond Breeze. It will not change the N.I. by much. Coconut Milk would be nice too, I think.
Flourless Whey Protein Pancakes
Makes 2 servings
- 2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 Tbs vanilla unsweetened Almond Breeze
- 2 Tbs ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 banana, mashed
- In a medium bowl, mix the protein powder, egg whites, Almond Breeze, flax seeds and cinnamon.
- Mash the banana in a separate, small bowl, then mix into the other ingredients. Stir until well combined. The mixture should not be too thick... add a tsp or 2 of water if it is.
- Coat a saucepan with non-stick spray and set over MEDIUM heat. Pour 1/4 of the mixture into the warm pan and spread till it is a circle about 4 - 5 inches in diameter.
- Let cook several minutes. You will see a bit of bubbling from underneath and the batter should lose its shine as it cooks. Leave till most the shine is gone and then gently flip over. Cook a couple of minutes more.
- Remove pancake to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Cook the rest of the pancakes in the same manner.
- Top with fruit of your choice or syrup to serve.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 233; Protein 32g; Carbohydrate 19g; Fat 5g; Fibre 4g.
Mash the banana till the biggest lumps are gone.
Combine the rest of the ingredients together in a medium bowl, then add the banana and mix.
Serve with berries and a bit of syrup... Mmmm.
Just an added note... I recently made these with chocolate protein powder and they were wonderful.... AND I also made a batch, leaving out the mashed banana and they turned out pretty well. So, if you don't have a banana on hand, go ahead and try them anway.