You all know that I have been a lifetimer with Weight Watchers for many many years... recently they decided to reward continuing lifetime members by giving us free access to e-tools on their web site. I am not used to having access to it yet so don't think to look at the recipe listings very often.
However, this past week I had a mango that I wanted do do something special with, so I access the recipe section of the Weight Watchers site and found a recipe called Tropical Mango-Jicama Chicken Salad... well I just happened to have a jicama on hand, too, and some chicken breasts... so I based this dinner on that recipe. I chose to serve it on a bed of spinach leaves to give it some added bulk to make it dinner-worthy.
I was thrilled to find yet another dish to add cilantro to... we have a huge pot of it growing on the balcony!
I will present this recipes as I made it up, but if you want the original, just google the title... you will find several instances of it on various sites. It calls for lime juice and I didn't have any on hand, but if you do, use it in place of the lemon juice... it would be even better, I think.
My Mango Jicama Chicken Salad on Spinach Leaves
Makes 2 dinner-size servings
- few slices of sweet onion
- 1Tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- few dashes of cumin
- dash of hot pepper sauce
- 2 small chicken breasts, cooked, cooled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 fresh mango, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1-1/2 cups jicama, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried
- Combine the onion, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin and hot pepper sauce in a large bowl.
- Let it stand for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure onion is coated well.
- Add the chicken, mango, jicama, and cilantro. Toss and mix well.
- Divide the spinach leaves between 2 plates
- Divide and serve the salad mixture over the top of the spinach.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 242; Protein 23g; Carbohydrate 20g; Fat 8g; Fibre 7g.
So easy... just combine and serve on plated greens.