Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Frozen Protein ‘Bites’


Sometimes I need a little something before I do a strength workout in the morning… and it will usually have some protein and a few carbs and perhaps a bit of fat, too.  Not much, just a little something

Normally I like to work out on an empty stomach.  I get out of bed, have a glass of water with half a lime squeezed and tossed into it, my EpiCor supplement, and then part of a cup of coffee… get into my workout gear and get sweaty!

But I have learned that if the workout involved much lower body work I need to eat a little before I do it. If I don’t, I tend to get too weak to finish my workout.  And I also don’t feel very good and it often lasts well into the morning.  Not a good experience.

I have experimented with protein shakes, but sometimes that is just too much … I don’t like to work hard with food in my belly cause it tends to make me feel sickish. 

These little frozen protein ‘bites’ are just right!  They are a combination of mashed banana, protein powder, and almond butter.  I love them, and could honestly just snack on them, especially when the weather is still so hot, but I am saving them as a pre-workout fuel…. I do have some self-control, although I admit I don’t like to show it off all the time!

The first time I made them, and as shown here, I used GNC Chocolate Rebuilt-Mass protein powder ‘cause we still had some around from the review The Captain did of it a while back… use your favorite protein powder.  And of course, the N.I. will vary with the brand and kind of powder used… but you get the idea.

I have also made them with a vanilla whey powder and added a dash of cinnamon.  They are really good too.  I think I will be experimenting a lot, with different fruits and nut butters and spices…


Aug 20 frozen protein bites 2 002

Frozen Protein ‘Bites’
Makes 8
  • 1 medium banana, peeled and mashed
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 2 Tbs almond butter
  1. Add the protein powder and the almond butter to the mashed banana and mix until well-combined.
  2. Scoop with a tablespoon measure into a silicone or paper muffin cup.
  3. Freeze several hours till solid.
  4. Store in the freezer and thaw the ‘bite’ for a a minute or 2 before eating.
Per serving of one ‘bite’.
Weight Watchers P+ = 1.
Calories 51; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 7g; Fat 2g; Fibre 1g.

The next time I made them I used a regular whey powder and it had more protein so the N.I. was higher in protein and lower in carbs.  I suspect most whey powders would give similar results.

Per serving of one ‘bite’.
Weight Watchers P+ = 1.
Calories 50; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 4g; Fat 2g; Fibre 1g.

Aug 17 frozen protein bites 001
Start by mashing the banana.

Aug 17 frozen protein bites 002

I use silicone muffin cups because they peel away so easily… and yes, the bananas are a bit lumpy.  It doesn’t matter!


Do you like to eat before you do a strength workout?

What is your favorite thing to have?

14 comments:

  1. How inventive :) I love this idea. I might try with butternut squash because I am so obsessed with that vegfruit!

    I personally can only eat AFTER working out. Eating before makes me feel sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, these look delicious! And perfect for this hot weather going on in the San Jose area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a little something before I workout in the morning always. I usually have a banana, but these look pretty good. I could make them with a vegan protein powder :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant notion...I love getting my protein in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a simple but delicious sounding recipe! I love how versatile bananas are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So easy and they sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to finally make something like these.
    All Ive gots are frozen banana slices :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these but with berries :)

    I cover my banana in protein fudge hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea!! If I workout in the morning I like to do it on an empty stomach...except my long runs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhh what a fun idea! Love just being able to have a quick bite as sometimes that's all I really want!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look yummy! And perfect for my "doesn't eat enough" 7 year old...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look fun to make! I like to eat something cold like cold overnight oats before I exercise in the summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look DELICIOUS ;) can't wait to try!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.