Saturday, August 24, 2013

Squash and Sweet Potato Crustless Quiche

I first saw this intriguing dish when my friend Sara pointed it out on Facebook a short while back. The author at paleOMG calls it Spaghetti Squash Breakfast Bake.  I call it Squash and Sweet Potato Crustless Quiche.  Who cares?  It is AWESOME!

I Tweeted the link and highlighted is a favorite so I would be sure to be able to find it again… sometimes this is quicker for me than Pinterest.

The recipe itself is a fun twist on a crustless, cheeseless quiche, and the prose that accompanies it is witty and irreverent.  You may want to read it for the humor alone.  And drool.

I finally got around to making this dish a few days ago.  I admit, there is a fair amount of preparation involved.  I miked the spaghetti squash while shredding the sweet potato and onion in my food processor.  (I had never used the shredder blade before.  Who knew it could be so easy?)  At first I thought I would only need 6 eggs, but at the last minute whisked in 2 more.   And I didn't use a 8X8 pan as apparently I no longer have one!


Before baking, it looked a bit soupy….


Aug 21 more casserole 001

And the final cooked result?

P-E-R-F-E-C-T-I-O-N 

Aug 21 casserole 002

Now to be honest, the ingredient list contains some of my very favorite items, so I was pretty darned sure I was going to love this dish.  And I do.  And so did The Captain, which was a huge bonus for me, too, as these are NOT some of his favorite ingredients…. but he did love the outcome.

Aug 21 casserole 001

Aug 21 casserole 003

We ate half for lunch the day I made it… then the other half for dinner a couple of night’s later.  I reheated it on a MEDIUM power in the mike for a couple of minutes… I was afraid that HIGH power might make the eggs rubbery. The Captain also thinks it would be good cold.

Aug 23 quiche 001

And just look at those tomatoes… grown on our balcony in containers!  Red and yellow cherry tomatoes. Mmmmmm.

Next time, I just may bake this quiche in my silicone muffin cups…. they would make handy snacks too!

By the way, it is also paleo, vegetarian, gluten free... all those good things!

The N.I. as I made it, for 1/4th of the whole:

Weight Watchers P+ = 6.

Calories 243; Protein 14g; Carbohydrate 16g; Fat 14g; Fibre 3g.

Give it a try.  Plan to spend some time at it.  Thoroughly enjoy the fruits of your labors.  And then send me a Tweet or come back and leave me a comment here, saying THANK YOU… it’s that good!

Are you a quiche fan?  What is your favorite kind?

3 comments:

  1. This is such a cool idea! I do a spaghetti squash pie... I can only imagine how yum sweet potato is. Must try. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear how you like it, too.

      Delete
  2. Oh yum! This looks fantastic. I wish I saw this before I made the meal plan for the week... next week, I'm adding it in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.