Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fat Free Hollandaise... You Have Got To Try This!

This week my favorite local freggie market had the most beautiful fresh asparagus... and at a fantastic price.

I am very picky about buying asparagus and rarely do.  The spears I see at the markets are usually thick and woody looking, and very expensive.  Not worth it in my opinion.

But this week was an exception, so I chose a large bunch, with the thinnest stalks I could find and as soon as I brought it home I washed a couple of them and ate them... raw.  They were crunchy and sweet and quite lovely.  The first time I ever ate asparagus was when I picked it growing wild in the Southern Okanagan many years ago, and it was so good that I always judge any I have now by that day's yield.  This measured up pretty well.

So I began hunting for a Hollandaise recipe that I thought The Captain would eat.  He told me years ago that he dislikes Hollandaise sauce because it is too vinegary for him.  I never really cared about it and thought it was too fatty and rich anyway... but this asparagus was just begging for something special, and we have some lovely thin ham slices in the fridge too so I was really hoping I could find something The Captain would like.

I came across the Chobani Kitchen and to my delight, there is a Hollandaise Sauce recipe posted there, and it has no vinegar, no butter, no cheese!  I immediately copied it and took it ino the kitchen to give it a try.... it is wonderful!  And thankfully, my fussy Captain agreed.

The only thing I did change was to leave out the Tabasco Sauce that it calls for.  It you want to see the recipe the way it was orignally published, follow this link.

I am calling mine Milder Chobani Hollandaise and here is how I made it.


Milder Chobani Hollandaise
Makes 1/2 cup, enough for 2 servings
  • 1/4 cup fat free Plain Chobani yogurt
  • 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 egg yolk
  • dashes of salt and pepper
  1. Combine and whisk the ingredients in the top of a double boiler and set over simmering water.
  2. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick enough to coat back of spoon. This will take 6 to 8 minutes. (Sauce can be kept at room temperature up to 1 hour; reheat gently in double boiler.)
  3. Spoon Hollandaise over asparagus.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 2.
Calories 63; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 2g; Fat 3g; Fibre 0g.

I don't have a double boiler so I just set a small pan inside a larger one.


Whisk together and keep stirring as it thickens.

It will easily coat a spoon when it is ready... and it will become a bit paler in color, too.


Spoon over cooked asparagus spears.

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment.