Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Savoury Beans and Apple

This tasty and nutritious dish comes from The G.I. Diet Cookbook.  I highly recommend the book and I found it in my local library.  It has lots of healthy, simple recipes in it.

The recipe as printed makes enough for supper for 4 people so I halved the ingredients.... you can easily double or triple them if you like.  The author gives you the option of using vegetable or chicken stock.  Of course I am using the vegetable stock that I made recently and posted last week.  And using vegetable stock makes it a vegan recipe as well, if that is important to you.

It is a large serving but I added some brown rice to the plate, to give some added texture. Here is how I put it together.


Savoury Beans and Apple
Makes 2 servings
  • 1/2 Tbs EVOO
  • 1/2 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 cup vegetable stock
  • 2 Tbs tomato paste
  • 1 Tbs  red wine vinegar
  • 2 cups cooked kidney beans
  • 1 tsp each dried thyme and oregano
  • 1 tsp dried mustard
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • dashes of salt and pepper 
  1. In a large, non-stick frying pan, heat oil over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. 
  2. Cook onion, apples, carrots, celery and garlic for 10 minutes or until softened.
  3.  In bowl, whisk together stock, tomato paste and vinegar; add to vegetable mixture in frying pan.   
  4. Stir in beans, thyme, oregano, mustard, cumin, salt and pepper.  Bring to boil. 
  5. Then reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes. 
  6. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt, if desired.
Per serving, without garnish or rice.
Weight Watchers P+ = 8.
Calories 321; Protein 17g; Carbohydrate 56g; Fat 5g; Fibre 15g.

Cook the apples and veggies until soft.


Add the rest of the ingredients and then cover to cook.


Served with some brown rice and a bit of yogurt.





2 comments:

  1. Another great recipe I can't wait to try - thanks!!! This is something I could make a lot of and keep in the refrigerator/freezer for lunches during the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good.

    I have the GI diet cookbook, we make a lot of stuff from it. My favorite is the roasted chickpeas. The baked apples are good too.

    The most disgusting recipe is the brownie recipe featuring kidney beans. As disgusting as it tasted, for some reason my hubby felt compelled to eat them all...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.