The recipe as printed makes enough for supper for 4 people so I halved the ingredients.... you can easily double or triple them if you like. The author gives you the option of using vegetable or chicken stock. Of course I am using the vegetable stock that I made recently and posted last week. And using vegetable stock makes it a vegan recipe as well, if that is important to you.
It is a large serving but I added some brown rice to the plate, to give some added texture. Here is how I put it together.
Savoury Beans and Apple
Makes 2 servings
- 1/2 Tbs EVOO
- 1/2 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 1 tsp each dried thyme and oregano
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- dashes of salt and pepper
- In a large, non-stick frying pan, heat oil over MEDIUM-HIGH heat.
- Cook onion, apples, carrots, celery and garlic for 10 minutes or until softened.
- In bowl, whisk together stock, tomato paste and vinegar; add to vegetable mixture in frying pan.
- Stir in beans, thyme, oregano, mustard, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to boil.
- Then reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt, if desired.
Per serving, without garnish or rice.
Weight Watchers P+ = 8.
Calories 321; Protein 17g; Carbohydrate 56g; Fat 5g; Fibre 15g.
Cook the apples and veggies until soft.
Add the rest of the ingredients and then cover to cook.
Served with some brown rice and a bit of yogurt.